Monday, November 02, 2009

Perfect Peace


Today’s Reading: Isaiah 26:3 KJV

Thou wilt keep him in perfect peace, whose mind is stayed on thee: because he trusteth in thee.

Good morning!

This was not exactly the way I wanted to begin this day. My appointment was located in the city at 7:30am. The doctor’s office suggested I be there fifteen minutes early. So, Jeff and I left home an hour before the scheduled procedures to avoid the Monday morning rush. After two back-to-back tests, somewhat lengthy and painful, I emerged from the scanner two hours later, thankful it was over. If you’ve ever had to lie completely still in a magnetic resonance imaging machine for a long period of time, then you have some idea of how this morning unfolded for me.

It is not easy for me to hold perfectly still, even on a good day. My flesh fights me every step of the way. Take a minute and try this little experiment and see how well you do. Sit down on your sofa, or, lie down across your bed and try not to move for one whole minute. This means, no flinching or twitching – do not move a muscle. Are you able to immediately relax so totally, completely still, that your breathing becomes shallow and steady right away? Could you fall asleep without so much as a whisper? How difficult is it for you to completely unwind and relax?

It was imperative that I lie completely still for both procedures. I became instantly aware of my breathing. There is really only one thing that completely calms my heart when I find myself in need of immediate rest. I recite Scripture in my mind. God’s Word, cradled inside my heart, becomes a life line in moments just like these. I remembered Christ’s ability to sleep through a horrific storm in a boat being ripped apart by the large waves and jagged rocks on the Galilean Lake. His peace level was baffling to His disciples, who were fighting for their lives that night. When Jesus stood, he raised His hand to the waters and said, “Peace, be still.” Suddenly, the waves and clouds disappeared as the lake water returned to a serene, calm state. When Jesus spoke, the wind and waves immediately and obediently responded to His call. Jesus Christ is the only thing I know that can calm our every fear. One thought of Jesus’ mercy and love for the sin sick and lost can stop the raging storms inside and bring a peace that is simply indescribable in human words.

The prophet Isaiah knew all about raging storms. Yet, he found perfect peace in the Lord, because He trusts Him completely. Sometimes I wonder if I’m trusting God completely for His peace in the storms of life. Lying in that tiny tube today, I knew His peace would be my source of strength. I could withstand the muscle cramps because I trust Jesus enough to give Him my pain. I knew that my mind, completely focused on the Lord, would be all I would need to get through the procedures without flinching.

The MRI tech congratulated me on being so still during each of the procedures. They got their pictures and I got to go home, full of Christ’s peace, knowing, no matter what my circumstance, He will see me through. I know that Jesus Christ will see you through whatever you are facing today. Relax! Take a minute and give Him all your cares. He will keep your heart in perfect peace as you focus your mind upon Him, because you can trust the Lord with your life.

Grace and peace,

Deb Spaulding

Faith UMC - St. Charles, MO

www.songofdeborah.com

___________________________

© Copyright 2009, Deb Spaulding

All rights reserved

Articles may not be printed in any “for profit” publication without further permission by the author. Articles may be freely distributed via e-mail, reprinted in church bulletins or in other non-profit publications without further permission. Please keep this copyright and Web Site information intact with copied articles.

No comments: