Tuesday, October 27, 2009

“One Verse”

Today’s reading - Acts 10:39 (NIV): 39"We are witnesses of everything he did in the country of the Jews and in Jerusalem. They killed him by hanging him on a tree,

As I was preparing this evening to read the scripture and begin to write this devotional, the very first verse in the next section took my breath away. As I kept reading to select the passage to write about, I kept going back to only one verse. My breath was quickened again with the next reading.

Although the second sentence stopped me in my tracks, I believe that I am to focus on ‘we are witnesses of everything he did’. Imagine, you and I as witnesses to all the good that is done in Jesus’ name in the world today. Everything that the Lord does in the universe, you and I are witnesses to! This is powerful, because the scripture can speak to us and be valuable in our lifetime.

If the Lord allows me to be a witness to all of His goodness that is in my sphere of influence, then I have a debt of gratitude to offer to Jesus Christ. Gratitude that multiplies 10 fold in me deepening and growing a burning desire to tell people about the goodness that Jesus offers us.

I know that the Lord lives and works in my life, but I also know that I fall short of sharing that witness with others. I am going to begin to pray about that. I am going to begin to ask God to use me to share the love of Jesus with someone else. I am going to do this because ‘they killed him by hanging him on a tree.’

What have you witnessed today that you need to tell someone?

Dorothy Drago Brucks
Aldersgate UMC, Nixa, MO.
www.aldersgatechurch.com

No comments: