Monday, September 21, 2009

"The Song of Deborah"


Today’s reading: Daniel 4:1-2


King Nebuchadnezzar, 1”To the peoples, nations and men of every language, who live in all the world: may you prosper greatly! 2 It is my pleasure to tell you about the miraculous signs and wonders that the Most High God has performed for me.”


I am straying from the book of Acts today (I don't think Deb will mind) for I have miraculous signs and wonders to share with you. I spoke with Deb’s husband Jeff this evening. When he answered the phone his voice seemed upbeat, now I have never spoken to him on the phone before, so I really had no idea what his voice would sound like. But I was intent in my listening for a sign.


And Jeff spoke “Deb is doing very well, the surgeon was pleased, he did some things he was not expecting to do, but also did not have to do other things he had planned. It was a successful surgery.” I can imagine it was the physician’s pleasure to tell Jeff and their family this good news.


The experience of a day in a surgery waiting room is different for everyone. Since I work in a hospital, I have had the opportunity to work the waiting room desk, updating the families about the progress of their loved ones. I have waited in the surgery waiting room in the dark of night for a friend’s friend that I didn’t even know – well worth the wait as our friend expressed his gratitude. Over the course of 35 years of marriage, I have sat in the waiting area 8 times for surgery on my husband’s knees and one long period of time during open heart surgery of 5 bypasses. I guess you could say I have a bit of experience.

No matter how often Jeff has been in a waiting room with his parishioners over the years of his ministry, nothing, absolutely nothing can prepare you for the span of time while waiting for that sign and wonder you so desperately desire to receive about your spouse.


Something that weighed heavy on Deb’s mind was waking up from the anesthesia; for 8 years ago she was in a coma like state for a couple of days and had many struggles. By this evening, she was sitting up in her bed, talking and relaxing – oh what a wonderful Most High God we have! Staff had even found a recliner for Jeff, so he also had been cared for.


Much like King Nebuchadnezzar’s eager desire to tell of his blessing, Deb shares her devotions for daily living with the world, as people in 7 countries subscribe to her blog posting. Tonight as you say a gentle, peaceful prayer for Deb’s great fortune today, take note of the miraculous signs and wonders all around you.


Deb would want you to take pleasure in them!



Dorothy Brucks
Aldersgate UMC
Nixa, Mo.

No comments: