Friday, August 28, 2009

Dirty feet

Today’s Reading: Acts 5:9-10 (NIV)

9 Peter said to her, “How could you agree to test the Spirit of the Lord? Look! The feet of the men who buried your husband are at the door, and they will carry you out also.” 10 At that moment she fell down at his feet and died. Then the young men came in and finding her dead, carried her out and buried her beside her husband.

Mary,

The last thing I remember was seeing their dirty feet. It was obvious to me they had been out in the garden, where many of our kin are buried. My husband’s dead body is mere inches from my head. Our lies have brought us to this place, where our physical bodies will rot together. The dirt in this grave is very cold. This is the coldest place I’ve ever known.

My husband was called the rainmaker, for he could close some of the biggest deals in town. Many thought he was the most influential and successful land owner in our city. No one would have ever dreamed were living a lie. We pretended we had a relationship with the Master– that we had found new life in Him. But my husband was a great spin master. He could tell a tale as tall as that mountain; as wide and as deep as the Galilean lake. I knew there were times when he would willfully step across morality’s line just to finish a deal; yet, he never seemed to get caught. I somehow thought it would all be okay in the end. Mary, I was wrong.

Many people thought my husband was as honest as the day is long. Some who doubted his integrity may have feared what he might do had they tried to expose the man who he really was. I’ll admit I was frightened of what he might do to me, if I even questioned his impure motives. Ananias was a good provider, giving me everything that could be bought. But I never knew real love because the Truth is not for sale.

I’ve wasted my life, Mary. I traded the truth for a lie. I realized it when I saw the feet of the men who came to carry my dead body away. The dirt of death is never far behind. We may try to fool ourselves into thinking we can outlive the lies just to make ourselves look good in the eyes of man. But we can never fool the Lord. He sees right through our filthy hearts. His Truth has a way of finding you, one way or another. And in the end, we all face the same dirty grave.

I’ve wasted my time here on earth. I wish I could turn around and change the things I’ve done. I’ve been fooling myself all these years, believing my husband could talk our way right out of hell. Now I know I bought into a raw deal. His lies became mine and now I must face the penalty for my sin.

Dear sister, do not wait until you see the dirt from the graveyard caked upon the feet of the undertaker before you seek His Truth. Cry out Jesus and ask Him to forgive you, while there is breath left in your body. I am spending my eternity in torment, totally separated from God’s peace. If you want to live in Truth, then you must give your whole heart to Jesus Christ now. He is the Way, the Truth, and the Life. Only Jesus can cleanse you if you seek Him now; invite Him into your heart by faith. He will help you know and understand what Truth is. Please do not waste your life living a lie.

Sapphira

Grace and peace,

Deb Spaulding

Faith UMC - St. Charles, MO

www.songofdeborah.com

___________________________

© Copyright 2009, Deb Spaulding

All rights reserved

Articles may not be printed in any “for profit” publication without further permission by the author. Articles may be freely distributed via e-mail, reprinted in church bulletins or in other non-profit publications without further permission. Please keep this copyright and Web Site information intact with copied articles.

No comments: