Saturday, June 20, 2009

Miracle in the making

Today’s Reading: Acts 3:2 (NIV)

2 Now a man crippled from birth was being carried to the temple gate called Beautiful, where he was put every day to beg from those going into the temple courts.

Good morning!

Yesterday was a miracle in the making. It all started when my computer crashed at work. What a misfortune to have happen so early on a beautiful summer Friday. I was told it would take the better part of the day to rebuild the hard drive. I knew exactly where I wanted to be and I only hesitated about three seconds before I requested and received permission to take a day of vacation!

I ran to my car and set out toward Cape Girardeau, where my cousin David is a patient in the hospital. I had received the wonderful news that he was finally awake after eight long days of waiting. He was talking, laughing and recognizing family and friends. This is a miracle in the making! I couldn’t wait to see him again! I called my niece, made lunch plans, and had several nice telephone visits with my mother, sister and aunt on the way to the hospital. Nothing intrigues me more than the miracles of technology. We may live miles apart, and yet, I can reach members of my family just by pressing the speed dial on my cell phone or sending a quick text message. This is truly an amazing gift!

David was wide awaking and smiling when I arrived. His team of neurologists, surgeons and medical staff are working around the clock to help him recover from what seems to be a mystery illness. He was exhausted from the many questions and medical tests. I’m sure he needed a nap. I stayed for just a short time, knowing David was tired. We talked, he smiled – I could see signs of life again. He seemed a bit confused about the day and time, but I knew he was not at all confused about the healing power of Christ over his life. As I prepared to leave, I leaned over to whisper a Scripture verse in David’s ear. He reached for my face, cupping my chin in his bandaged hand. The smile that came across his face and the tears in his eyes was all I needed to see to know that he knew that I knew from whence his healing had come. In that brief moment, I spoke God’s Word and David spoke it back. His wife noticed our quiet exchange, came over to the bed and said, “What are you two whispering about?” David looked at her, smiled and said, “It’s a secret!” It was as if I were standing at the entrance to the Beautiful Gate, watching an amazing transformation happen right in front of my eyes.

I was praying and singing on the drive home, when I noticed a white Jeep Cherokee leave the roadway about 1/8th of a mile in front of me. I only had time for a breath prayer, and I watched in awe as I saw the power of prayer at work when the Holy Spirit came and grabbed that automobile, pulling it back onto the roadway. Had there not been divine intervention, I am convinced this car would have flipped and ended up on the other side of the highway.

How many miracles did you witness yesterday? Can you name them? Every day, miracles occur all around us; simple gifts that we brush aside as trivial, because we are far too busy to notice. The man crippled from birth sat at the Beautiful Gate every day, just waiting and hoping for his miracle. We never know when the miracles will come and yet, he waited for it. Could this be the day you will receive your miracle in the making? Open your eyes and look around. God is trying to speak to you. Will you see His face at the Beautiful Gate?

Grace and peace,

Deb Spaulding

Faith UMC - St. Charles, MO

www.songofdeborah.com

___________________________

© Copyright 2009, Deb Spaulding

All rights reserved

Articles may not be printed in any “for profit” publication without further permission by the author. Articles may be freely distributed via e-mail, reprinted in church bulletins or in other non-profit publications without further permission. Please keep this copyright and Web Site information intact with copied articles.

No comments: