Thursday, June 11, 2009

The bigger picture

Today’s Reading: Acts 2:41(b)-42 (NIV)

41(b) About three thousand were added to their number that day. 42 They devoted themselves to the apostles’ teaching and to the fellowship to the breaking of bread and to prayer.

Good morning!

At the coffee shop this week, I sat at a table with one of my pastors, sipping on a hot cup of Earl Grey tea while listening as she spoke. My pen didn’t work. I had a notebook with me, ready to take notes on the conversation for future review. This seemed to be a strange blessing, because it forced me to sit still and pay close attention, not trying to pen every thought on paper. While it often helps me see things clearly in writing, I will tell you that the visual images God birthed from that holy conversation far surpasses anything I could have read in a book or studied from personal notes. I have found this particular conversation especially meaningful as I’ve prayed and asked the Lord for clarity of call.

Sometimes God has to hit me over the head a few times to get my undivided attention. In the last forty-eight hours, I’ve confessed to the Lord that my prayers have been way too small. I’d like to think that my view is not skewed by the four walls that surround me today; yet, I know in my heart I have not allowed Jesus to expand my view beyond what I can physically see. I’ve been stuck in this mold for well over two years, and I thought I might eventually suffocate if I didn’t find a tiny air pocket in which to breathe. All I really needed was one holy breath. Isn’t that what all of us need – His breath, filling up our souls with a holy fire?

Take a closer look at today’s Scripture and tell me what you see. Three thousand men got saved that day in the city: three thousand men who did not share a common language or culture. They traveled from all over the world to attend the festival, not knowing that the Lord Jesus Christ had specifically called them together to receive the gift of His Holy Spirit. The Apostles had been praying together constantly, looking to the Lord for guidance and help in sharing His message of salvation to all men. And when the Lord opened the flood gates, thousands of hearts were forever changed, birthed through constant prayer.

It occurred to me that my God doesn’t need a primed and ready heart to reach out and grab them. He has ultimate power and authority to draw all people, everywhere, especially the ones who have never been exposed to Jesus in their culture. Not all who came to the city that day were primed and ready for a spiritual transformation, but through the work of Christ on the cross, they got Him, lock, stock and barrel!

Father, help me today to see your bigger picture. Teach me to dream limitless dreams, praying and seeking what seems impossible at the surface, for through your Son, Jesus Christ I know all things are possible! Help me stand on Your Word today. And, thank you for sending me pastors with discerning hearts. I claim it today, in Jesus’ name, Amen.

Grace and peace,

Deb Spaulding

Faith UMC - St. Charles, MO

www.songofdeborah.com

___________________________

© Copyright 2009, Deb Spaulding

All rights reserved

Articles may not be printed in any “for profit” publication without further permission by the author. Articles may be freely distributed via e-mail, reprinted in church bulletins or in other non-profit publications without further permission. Please keep this copyright and Web Site information intact with copied articles.

No comments: