Monday, May 04, 2009

Praying in my sleep

Today’s Reading: Acts 1:14 (NIV)

14 They all joined together constantly in prayer, along with the women and Mary the mother of Jesus, and with his brothers.

Good morning!

I woke up this morning in mid-prayer with the Lord. This is not an easy thing for me to explain, since I am still acquiring the daily benefits of the Apostle Paul’s prescription to pray without ceasing.

True confession: I like to talk – I like to talk a lot. My husband Jeff will attest to this. I function best when I’m able to think things through out loud; while Jeff digests most everything that he learns quietly, in a reflective state of mind. Speaking the words out loud often helps me understand what it is I’m experiencing. When I pray, I tend to pray out loud, and sometimes, I even read out loud, especially if I’m struggling to grasp the concept on the printed page. Sometimes, I hear the still small voice of God tenderly whisper in my ear, “Deb, honey, shut up!” Yes, I confess there are moments when God literally has had to shut my mouth so that I can hear Him speak. And I thank Him for not giving up on me, and finding rare moments of quiet stillness to breathe His holy breath into my spirit. Jesus constantly draws me back to him in prayer.

God knows it is hard for me to sit still and wait for Him to move. I like to see things happen, to witness the answers for every intercessory prayer prayed. This is definitely a control issue. My unwillingness to sit and wait upon the Lord so that He can renew my strength keeps my spirit flailing around in a nest, like a tiny baby bird, rather than soaring high in the skies on His wings. Letting go of the reign is a hard thing for me to do. Opening up to the possibilities of all that God has planned for my life is one scary adventure. If I stop to look down, my fear of heights may make me a nervous wreck and know I could fall. Waiting for His timing to spread my wings and fly has everything to do with my looking up to the Lord, and trusting His Word completely. It has absolutely nothing to do with me. When Jesus says jump, will I be willing let go and just do it?

Before the Holy Spirit baptized the disciples with holy fire, they prayed together constantly, along with Mary and the brothers. I love it when the Lord chooses to speak to me at night, when my body is at rest and my mind is open to His will. I know without a doubt that I was born to praise and worship the Lord Jesus Christ! This is my life’s work – the one thing He has asked me to do. When I’m all talked out, and I finally relinquish my control and humbly enter into His Holy presence, His Word speaks to me! There is nothing more wonderful than knowing Jesus Christ is with me always, even at night when I’m sleeping.

Do you hear the voice of Jesus calling to you at night? Allow the Lord to help guide you into a lifetime of constant prayer, even while you sleep.

Grace and peace,

Deb Spaulding

Faith UMC - St. Charles, MO

www.songofdeborah.com

___________________________

© Copyright 2009, Deb Spaulding

All rights reserved

Articles may not be printed in any “for profit” publication without further permission by the author. Articles may be freely distributed via e-mail, reprinted in church bulletins or in other non-profit publications without further permission. Please keep this copyright and Web Site information intact with copied articles. Articles are sent originally to subscribers only. You may have received a forwarded or reprinted copy.

No comments: