Thursday, April 16, 2009

Handwritten testimony

Today’s Reading: John 21:24 (NIV)

24 This is the disciple who testifies to these things and who wrote them down. We know that his testimony is true.

Good morning!

How important is your written testimony? In a court of law, handwritten notes, letters, computer hard drive contents and email are all considered admissible evidence in seeking out the truth of a matter. We are known by our living testimony, and that testimony is reflected by the things we say, do, and write. If the sum of your writing was compiled into a book, what would it reveal about who you are?

When I was dating Jeff (before we got married), I looked forward to receiving his love letters in the mail. I’ve preserved many of these notes in a scrapbook, where it sits on the bookshelf in the living room of our home. Last night, while talking on the telephone with my daughter-in-law Kymberly, she commented on some of the notes that she had read one day while perusing the pictures and stories. I kept these notes for a reason. Every time I read them, I am reminded of his love for me. A few weeks ago, Jeff and I attended a series of one act plays on the campus of Lindenwood University. One of the skits was entitled Post-It Notes, and the entire theme revolved around the notes a husband and wife wrote to each other throughout their marriage. It was such a poignant reminder of the importance of note writing, that Jeff and I began using post-it notes on our bathroom mirror each day. I guess I need to scrapbook them too!

You see, no one else can tell your story like you can. The experiences you have in life are important to the people around you. They are important to the ones who will follow your footsteps in future generations. Through your words, you can convey a truth that someone else will understand, if you are willing to open up and share a piece of who you are with others. What would it have been like if John, the presumed author of this Gospel passage, had not followed the leading of the Holy Spirit to write his eyewitness account of the life and ministry of Jesus Christ? Would we, 2000 years later, have known, understood, and received Jesus into our hearts had it not been for the handwritten testimonies of the ones who walked with Him during His earthly life?

One day, my grandchildren will tell their grandchildren about their great great grandmother, and the stories she told about her experiences with the risen Savior. They will know without a doubt that the Lord Jesus Christ reached down and saved their Granny Deb in His mercy and By grace alone. They will know without a doubt that when they get to heaven, I will be waiting to hug the stuffing out of them there. While I may never see their beautiful faces on earth, I know that my life will impact and intersect with their lives, that they may come to know and love Jesus just as much as I do today.

My prayer for you is that you will follow in the footsteps of the disciples, and share your faith by all that you say, do and write. If you stood trial tomorrow for the Christian faith you profess today, would there be enough evidence to convict you?

Grace and peace,

Deb Spaulding

Faith UMC - St. Charles, MO

www.songofdeborah.com

___________________________

© Copyright 2009, Deb Spaulding

All rights reserved

Articles may not be printed in any “for profit” publication without further permission by the author. Articles may be freely distributed via e-mail, reprinted in church bulletins or in other non-profit publications without further permission. Please keep this copyright and Web Site information intact with copied articles. Articles are sent originally to subscribers only. You may have received a forwarded or reprinted copy.

No comments: