Sunday, March 29, 2009

High tide

Today’s Reading: John 21:10 (NIV)

10 Jesus said to them, “Bring some of the fish you have just caught.”

Good morning!

I was sitting in church one Sunday morning, listening to my Pastor as she delivered the sermon God had laid upon her heart. She asked a couple of questions that really made me think. I was sitting by myself toward the back of the sanctuary, in a comfortable pew – all by myself. Here were her two very pointed questions:

How many homes did you drive by on your way to church? How many people did you stop to invite to come and join you today in worship? I only live three full blocks from Faith Church, and on nice spring days, I enjoy walking to church. I pass by my neighbors’ homes every day. Some are out doing lawn work early in the morning, and I can hear the voices of little children playing the back yard or just inside the open front screen doors. Dogs are barking as joggers take their Sunday morning run. I wave as they pass me by. I’ve smiled at the folks sitting on their front porches with a cup of coffee and newspaper in hand. I’ve never stopped just to talk to them, to introduce myself or invite them to church. Suddenly, I began to feel a little heart burn. I live in a neighborhood full of folks whose names I’ve never asked for. I don’t know them, and that is totally my fault.

How do we keep our best kept secret – secret? Is our love for Jesus Christ so personal and private that we wouldn’t want to share His salvation with the world around us? When we fall in love with the Lord, we want to run outside and shout that we’ve found the One who totally completes our reason for living. Some of us grew up in an environment where we heard about Jesus from an early age. Others of us may have never been exposed to Christianity, and do not yet understand what a personal relationship with Jesus Christ can be. When we do meet Him face to face and He becomes the love of our life, how do we suppress this wonderful Good News with the ones who we come in contact with every day?

Imagine this morning, that you are Simon Peter and Jesus Christ is calling to you to come and join Him for breakfast. Jesus says, “Bring some of the folks you have just invited to join you.” Who would be joining you for breakfast today with the Lord?

It is high tide. Time to go fishing! I’ll see you this morning at Faith Church.

Grace and peace,

Deb Spaulding

Faith UMC - St. Charles, MO

www.songofdeborah.com

___________________________

© Copyright 2009, Deb Spaulding

All rights reserved

Articles may not be printed in any “for profit” publication without further permission by the author. Articles may be freely distributed via e-mail, reprinted in church bulletins or in other non-profit publications without further permission. Please keep this copyright and Web Site information intact with copied articles. Articles are sent originally to subscribers only. You may have received a forwarded or reprinted copy.

No comments: