Friday, November 14, 2008

The power of One

Today’s Reading: John 17:21 (NIV)

21 [Jesus said,] “May they be One, Father, just as You are in Me and I am in You. May they also be in Us so that the world may believe that You have sent Me.”

Good morning!

Thanksgiving is coming, and I can hardly wait! It is a time when I look for ways to express my grateful appreciation in a tangible way for the many blessings I receive each day. I am thankful for the ones I love and for the gift of being loved. I am convinced that there is no greater gift than love. The freedoms that I enjoy and sometimes take for granted were bought at such a high price. How can I say thank you to the people who sacrificed everything so that this country could become a power of One?

We say it in our pledge of allegiance, but I wonder if we’ve given much thought to the impact of these four words: “One nation under God.,” In this moment in time, when Americans are pulling together and setting aside personal differences of opinion to move forward in a new direction, do we recognize the significance of the power of One that we have pledged time and again for our nation and to each other as American citizens?

Jesus prayed to the Father that the world may become One body in Him, as He and the Father are One together. Could Jesus have accomplished all that He set out to do if He had not had the Father’s heart to encourage and support Him? Could I impact the world in which I live if I did not have the hope of Christ living within me? When the Church gathers together in community to honor and glorify the Lord in worship and in service to each other, would we be able to make any significant difference at all if it were not for the power of One?

Jesus Christ is the full expression of faith in the power of God. This is why the early church exploded in strength and in numbers, at a time when following Jesus would surely lead to physical death. The intended annihilation of new believers and their families contributed to the wildfire spread of the Gospel around the world. People had found the power of One in Jesus Christ, and they knew there was nothing more important than sharing His love with those who had not yet heard the Good News. We have seen history repeat itself time and again, and as we prepare to face this brand new year, we look toward a new great awakening that is happening all around us.

I have a grateful heart today for the power of One.

Grace and peace,

Deb Spaulding

Faith UMC - St. Charles, MO

www.songofdeborah.com

___________________________

© Copyright 2008, Deb Spaulding

All rights reserved

Articles may not be printed in any “for profit” publication without further permission by the author. Articles may be freely distributed via e-mail, reprinted in church bulletins or in other non-profit publications without further permission. Please keep this copyright and Web Site information intact with copied articles. Articles are sent originally to subscribers only. You may have received a forwarded or reprinted copy.

No comments: