Thursday, September 04, 2008

Real friendship

Today’s Reading: John 15:15 (NIV)

15 [Jesus said,] “I no longer call you servants, because a servant does not know his master’s business. Instead, I have called you friends, for everything that I learned from my Father I have made known to you.

Good morning!

I changed schools seven times in twelve years without moving once! In the mid-sixties, the population in Florissant grew exponentially. Young families had moved to North County, and there were children everywhere! New schools were being built to accommodate the rapid growth spurt. This caused the district boundary lines to constantly change. After attending a private kindergarten offered at my church, I attended six different public schools from first grade through my senior year of high school. And I managed this without moving once from our family's home. What a rich experience this was!

I made a lot of friends at every school I attended, some of whom have remained in contact with me through the years. Many of the children I hung out with on the playground and in the lunchroom I have not seen or heard from since then. My mother used to tell me that I should be a friend to all but I should choose my best friends carefully. Have you ever been disappointed by a friend? Have you ever failed to be the friend you should have been to someone else?

Jesus amazed His disciples by demonstrating friendship like no other. He did not treat His disciples as mere servants. His entourage willingly served the Lord during their three year traveling ministry tour. Yet, Jesus chose to share everything the Father had told Him with His friends. He held nothing back and kept no secrets; conveying the truth of God to all who would listen and receive Him into their hearts. He called them friends, even knowing that one of them would betray their friendship, selling his soul for thirty lousy pieces of silver. Jesus placed His life on the line for all people, even the greedy ones. He calls us friends. What friend would give up His own life just to save yours?

Are you a friend to Jesus? He died to set you free from the sins that separate you from a perfect and loving Father. He came to be your friend; a constant companion for life and the life to come. Jesus told us everything the Father told Him. We are not merely His servants: we are His friends and He is counting on each of us to share the Father's love with the world. How will you choose to share Christlike friendship in your community? Will you take a risk and love others the way Jesus loves you?

Grace and peace,

Deb Spaulding

Faith UMC - St. Charles, MO

www.songofdeborah.com

___________________________

© Copyright 2008, Deb Spaulding

All rights reserved

Articles may not be printed in any “for profit” publication without further permission by the author. Articles may be freely distributed via e-mail, reprinted in church bulletins or in other non-profit publications without further permission. Please keep this copyright and Web Site information intact with copied articles. Articles are sent originally to subscribers only. You may have received a forwarded or reprinted copy.

No comments: