Wednesday, September 24, 2008

The gift

Today’s Reading: John 16:7 (NIV)

7 [Jesus said,] “But I tell you the truth: It is for your good that I am going away. Unless I go away, the Counselor will not come to you; but if I go, I will send Him to you.

Good morning!

Our four-year old granddaughter Emily was sick last weekend. To ill to go to the soccer game, we hung out together and watched movies in our pajamas. Emily curled up in my lap on the reclining sofa, with her feverish head resting on my left shoulder. I did not need a lap quilt that day, for Emily was toasty enough for both of us. She was clearly miserable, with a scratchy throat and chills, and I felt sorry for her. Emily turned away from the movie we were watching on television, looked up and said in her squeaky voice, “Nanny, you are my best girl. I’ll miss you when you go home to see Pa.” Whenever this little one greets me, one of the first things Emily says is how much she misses me. Four year olds have an uncanny ability to share their hearts. There I was, trying to comfort my granddaughter; yet, somehow, Emily managed to comfort me with a hug and a kind word.

Can you imagine what it might be like in the world today without the comfort that the Holy Spirit brings? Jesus knew how very much we would miss having Him here on earth, in the flesh. There is not a day that goes by when I don’t long to see my Savior face-to-face; to be able to reach up and touch His nail-scarred hands, to rest my head upon His shoulder, and know His eternal peace forever. If Jesus had not gone away, the Comforter would not have come. And, oh, what a Comforter we have in the Holy Spirit! Christ reveals Himself to us through the presence and power of the Spirit every moment of every day. He is our living Word, when there are no words to speak. The Spirit reminds us of the Way; He shelters us in our life storms. The Comforter blankets us in the warmth of the Father’s great love. We are never, ever alone, even when the Savior went home to be with His Pa.

I am praying Emily’s words this morning, “Lord Jesus, you are my best bud. I miss you now, but I know you are with the Father, and one day soon, I will see you again, face to face.” I am assured of Christ’s promise through the comfort of His sweet Holy Spirit. This is the gift Jesus left for you and me on the day He returned home.

Grace and peace,

Deb Spaulding

Faith UMC - St. Charles, MO

www.songofdeborah.com

___________________________

© Copyright 2008, Deb Spaulding

All rights reserved

Articles may not be printed in any “for profit” publication without further permission by the author. Articles may be freely distributed via e-mail, reprinted in church bulletins or in other non-profit publications without further permission. Please keep this copyright and Web Site information intact with copied articles. Articles are sent originally to subscribers only. You may have received a forwarded or reprinted copy.

No comments: