Saturday, August 30, 2008

This is the time

Today’s Reading: John 15:7 (NIV)

7 [Jesus said,] “If you remain in me and my words remain in you, as whatever you wish, and it will be given you.

Good morning!

Storms are coming. I’ve been watching the satellite radar, in particular, the fury of Hurricanes Gustav and Hannah. One hundred people have already lost their lives in the eye of these storms. My heart is grieving for their families, and for the devastation that has already occurred. I cannot help but wonder how many more storms we may face in the upcoming days.

I couldn’t sleep last night after an abrupt and scary dream. Have you ever had a nightmare keep you awake? In my dream, one of my children had been severely beaten. I could see the red rope burn branded across his face; I could hear the terror in his voice. He was crying and I was trying to reach him. My arms were not quite long enough, but I know whose arms are. I continued to cry out to my child, “Trust God! Ask the Lord to save you, to heal you, in Jesus’ name! Give Him your fears and all your pain! He will hear and answer you!” All night long, the same dream with the same prayer was prayed over and over and over again.

I believe with all my heart that God hears our every prayer. He hears our cries for help, the hushed whispers in the midnight hour, when there is no lasting light but His. We know He is there, even when we cannot see Him clearly. When King Solomon had finished building the temple of the Lord, the Lord came to him at night and said, “I have chosen this place for myself as a temple for sacrifices. When I shut up the heavens so that there is no rain, or command locusts to devour the land or send a plague among my people, if my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven and will forgive their sin and heal their land.” (II Chronicles 7:12-14 NIV) I couldn’t help but think about the Lord’s promise to the wisest man who ever lived. What if God has chosen our land for Himself as His temple of sacrifice? IF we were willing as a nation today, to really humble our hearts, pray and seek the Father’s face and turn from the inherent evil that continues to plague our families, our communities and nation, God promises to hear our prayers and forgive and heal our land. How many more storms must we endure? When will we humble ourselves before the Lord?

I am convinced this is the time to unite hands and hearts in prayer. Our people must depend upon the Lord to save them, to forgive us and to heal our land. Won’t you join with me this weekend to pray? On September 11th, folks will be gathering at their county courthouses at the noon hour to pray and seek God’s help for our nation. If you would like to join with Christians around the US in a time of prayer, go to www.awakeningamerica.us and sign up for a prayer vigil in your community. I would invite you to join with me, especially this weekend, as we pray for the storms that are headed our way, and for those who find themselves in the path of destruction. God’s promises are sure. IF we are willing to turn, repent, and believe, He will hear us, forgive our sins and heal our land.

Grace and peace,

Deb Spaulding

Faith UMC - St. Charles, MO

www.songofdeborah.com

___________________________

© Copyright 2008, Deb Spaulding

All rights reserved

Articles may not be printed in any “for profit” publication without further permission by the author. Articles may be freely distributed via e-mail, reprinted in church bulletins or in other non-profit publications without further permission. Please keep this copyright and Web Site information intact with copied articles. Articles are sent originally to subscribers only. You may have received a forwarded or reprinted copy.

No comments: