Saturday, August 02, 2008

Me first


Today’s Reading: John 14:13-14 (NIV)


[Jesus said], “And I will do whatever you ask in my name, so that the Son may bring glory to the Father. 14 You may ask me for anything in my name, and I will do it.”


Good morning!


What’s in it for me?


Let’s face it: we live in a “me-first” mentality. I see this happy attitude poignantly demonstrated every day as I drive to and from work and school. Folks are hard pressed and committed to getting where they need to be as quickly as possible, oblivious to the people traveling next to them on the highway of life. Our thoughts are centered upon the things we must accomplish: the meetings, presentations, and general busyness of our daily lives. We are so preoccupied with our own personal agenda, to-do lists and project deadlines. We cannot spare an extra second to make that telephone call to a friend, or take time to walk across the yard and speak to our next-door neighbor. We pull into our garages and lower the door before exiting our vehicles. We could care less about the stranger stuck in traffic in the car behind us, whom we’ve just managed to cut off. Is our time more precious than theirs? We just want to get ahead. What’s in it for me? Our morning rush is so much more important than anyone else’s. What is it inside of the human heart that drives us to total distraction? How can we be glued to that time clock ticking, yet somehow miss hearing the warning alarm ringing frantically in our ears?


My relationship with Jesus would never have happened had He not wanted to be in relationship with me. This is a complete reversal from the “me-first” mentality. Pastor Terry Teykl writes about the purpose of the Christian walk in his book, The Presence Based Church. Unlike any other bond we form in life, the sacred and holy expression of faith is borne, not from anything we do, but from what God does for each one of us. We should not seek out a relationship with the Lord because of what we may need; rather, we should honor and serve the Father faithfully because of what He does for us. Teykl said that when we pray, we are to pray the prayers that God would have us pray. Getting ourselves out of the way so that the Father can work in and through us is the real miracle, and it only occurs as Christ-like living becomes our soul’s greatest motivation and desire. That “me-first” attitude must melt away, so that Christ-first can become front and center every day.


Jesus said, “I will do whatever you ask in my name, so that the Son may bring glory to the Father. You may ask me for anything in my name, and I will do it.” In the human realm, many feel this is the ticket to personal prosperity. Can we really ask God for anything, guaranteed that He will do it in Jesus’ name? I encourage you to take a closer look at His Word and examine your “me-first” motivation behind the request. Are you praying for your will to be done or for the Father’s will on earth, as it is in heaven?



Grace and peace,


Deb Spaulding


Faith UMC - St. Charles, MO


www.songofdeborah.com


___________________________

© Copyright 2008, Deb Spaulding

All rights reserved

Articles may not be printed in any “for profit” publication without further permission by the author. Articles may be freely distributed via e-mail, reprinted in church bulletins or in other non-profit publications without further permission. Please keep this copyright and Web Site information intact with copied articles. Articles are sent originally to subscribers only. You may have received a forwarded or reprinted copy.

No comments: