Wednesday, July 09, 2008

Who is it?

Today’s Reading: John 13:23-25(NIV)

23 One of them, the disciple whom Jesus loved, was reclining next to Him. 24 Simon Peter motioned to this disciple and said “Ask Him which one He means.” 25 Leaning back against Jesus, He asked Him, “Lord, who is it?”

Good morning!

Sometimes I miss seeing the obvious. Do you ever do this? When I have a project to do, I will focus all my energy on that project, determined to complete it. I’ve learned how to multitask out of sheer necessity, but my preference has always been to give my full attention to one thing at a time. I prefer to complete one task before moving to the next line item on my to-do list. It doesn’t work that way in my employment. From the moment I arrive until I walk out the door at the end of the day, I am there to answer questions and assist others, while completing my specific job duties so that my co-workers can do the work they are assigned to do. It is truly a team effort; yet, there are moments when it is not a smooth transition. Sometimes I get so focused on what I’m doing that I may miss seeing the obvious. It may be right in front of my nose, and I still couldn’t see it. How very frustrating!

Jesus knew who would betray Him, long before He entered His three year formal ministry. Jesus invited Judas into His intimate circle of friends, knowing he would be the one who would hand Him over to the Roman authorities. Still, Jesus offered Judas perfect love and committed friendship, as they walked together along the road of life. Jesus never gave up on him, even when Judas’ chose to act in disobedience. The disciples were so focused on their Lord and the work He had called them to do, that they missed seeing the obvious in one of their own people. They did not know who the Master was referring to in the Upper Room during their Last Supper with Him, and they wondered, “Is it I?”

We ask this question in times of human blindness. Maybe we are the ones betraying Christ, by our own selfish acts of pride or greed. Maybe we’re the Judas in the room, bent on seeing faith our way rather than God’s way. Maybe it’s our own willful disobedience that makes us the betrayer. We become so focused on our plan of action that we somehow miss out on recognizing His will for our lives. Is your lifestyle so inflexible and your schedule so busy that you would not answer the call from the Lord to pick up your cross and follow Him?

Lord, who is it?

Grace and peace,

Deb Spaulding

Faith UMC - St. Charles, MO

www.songofdeborah.com

___________________________

© Copyright 2008, Deb Spaulding

All rights reserved

Articles may not be printed in any “for profit” publication without further permission by the author. Articles may be freely distributed via e-mail, reprinted in church bulletins or in other non-profit publications without further permission. Please keep this copyright and Web Site information intact with copied articles. Articles are sent originally to subscribers only. You may have received a forwarded or reprinted copy.

No comments: