Saturday, July 26, 2008

How much is enough?

Today’s Reading: John 14:8 (NIV)

Philip said, “Lord, show us the Father and that will be enough for us.”

Good morning!

How much is enough and will we recognize it when we have it? This is the burning question I find myself asking this morning. Because I live in the “Show-Me” state, it is no wonder that this Missourian would entertain such a thought. I remember the famous slogan that emerged in the 1996 film entitled, Jerry Maguire: “Show me the money!” After its release into theatres, people began touting this expression, which I have coined an American euphemism. Living in a struggling US economy that appears to be stretching itself to the absolute breaking point, people are daily praying for God to show them the money simply to put food on their tables and gasoline in their cars. How much is enough and how far will we reach to get it? Are we willing to share our gifts and resources with each other so that all of us can survive through this difficult time together? Would I be willing to put my own comfortable life on hold long enough to reach out and help a neighbor in need? How much is enough and will I know it when I have it?

Philip asks a great question. The disciples longed to see the Father. Just like you and me, they were seeking God out in their lives, putting their families and futures aside, just to know the Master Creator in a deeper way. They thought if they could just see His face, it would be enough. Their longing for the Lord had trumped all earthly desires. And yet, God was right there in the midst of them, and they did not recognize Him! How is it that the Father can be right in front of our very eyes and we somehow miss seeing Him, even when we’re looking! The Lord has given us the evidence we need to know Him fully, yet somehow, we’ve danced around His everlasting gift of life, leaving the pretty wrapping paper untouched and the gift box unopened. The Father was with Philip, standing right next to Him, and after three years of walking together in the flesh, Philip still didn’t recognize His face.

Father, help me see You today in a brand new way. Please do not let me walk by You this morning and not recognize You. My deepest longing is forever satisfied in knowing that You are here with me right now. In Your holy presence, I know I have received the greatest gift of all: Your unconditional love for me. You are all I need from now to eternity. Help me share the overwhelming abundance of Your rich mercy and grace with the people you’ve placed in my life. There is plenty for all. I ask this today in Jesus’ name, Amen.

Grace and peace,

Deb Spaulding

Faith UMC - St. Charles, MO

www.songofdeborah.com

___________________________

© Copyright 2008, Deb Spaulding

All rights reserved

Articles may not be printed in any “for profit” publication without further permission by the author. Articles may be freely distributed via e-mail, reprinted in church bulletins or in other non-profit publications without further permission. Please keep this copyright and Web Site information intact with copied articles. Articles are sent originally to subscribers only. You may have received a forwarded or reprinted copy.

No comments: