Thursday, July 17, 2008

Everlasting hope

Today’s Reading: John 13:36-37(NIV)

36 Simon Peter asked him, "Lord, where are you going?" Jesus replied, "Where I am going, you cannot follow now, but you will follow later."

Good morning!

Standing under a large oak tree yesterday afternoon, just inside the gates of the College MoundCemetery, I could feel the Texas breeze blowing gently against my face. I viewed many stone markers of friends who have gone on before me; people I had come to know and love while living in the College Mound parsonage some thirty years ago. I marveled at the beauty of this sacred space; the rolling hills lined with remembrances of the faithful - people who had lived and worked and loved each other right here at the College Mound United Methodist Church just outside of Terrell, Texas. I closed my eyes and imagined what it would be like here when the trumpet sounds and their graves would suddenly open, their physical bodies bursting forth from ash and dust, rising up to meet our Lord in the sky. What a wonderful sight to behold! His promises are faithful and true. One day, it will happen, just as the Father has said.

Last night, I stood in the beautiful sanctuary of the First United Methodist Church of Dallas, Texas, remembering our dear friend and pastor, Rhymes. How I miss him, even today. His servant leadership and walk with the Lord inspire me to go deeper daily in faith. He trusted Jesus in all things, in life and in death. Rhymes was a willing and faithful servant here on earth, and I look forward to hugging his neck and thanking Him for the example he set when I reach heaven’s holy ground. I reflected upon the many who have gone on before me, and their legacy of faithful service that they have left to our continuing nurture and care. May we yearn to follow in their footsteps, as we serve the Savior of the world.

Jesus told Simon Peter that where He was going, he could not follow now, but he would follow later. We have a future with hope; Christ is our eternal destiny; and in Him, there is everlasting life. Do you know Him?

Grace and peace,



Deb Spaulding

Faith UMC - St. Charles, MO

www.songofdeborah.com

___________________________

© Copyright 2008, Deb Spaulding

All rights reserved

Articles may not be printed in any “for profit” publication without further permission by the author. Articles may be freely distributed via e-mail, reprinted in church bulletins or in other non-profit publications without further permission. Please keep this copyright and Web Site information intact with copied articles. Articles are sent originally to subscribers only. You may have received a forwarded or reprinted copy.

No comments: