Saturday, July 05, 2008

Be blessed!

Today’s Reading: John 13:16-17(NIV)

16 [Jesus said,] “I tell you the truth, no servant is greater than His master, nor is a messenger greater than the one who sent him. 17 Now that you know these things, you will be blessed IF you do them.

Good morning!

I have been looking forward to this day since I attended the Missouri United Methodist Annual Conference in June. I’m taking a road trip today to visit my friends Dorothy and Phil in Nixa, Missouri. I plan to watch and learn as Dorothy prepares the videotape to be used in the contemporary Christian worship service on Sunday morning at Aldersgate United Methodist Church. And. as an added bonus, I get to hear her husband Phil deliver the sermon tomorrow in worship! I’m enrolled in summer classes at Lindenwood University, and one of the course requirements is that I critique seven pastors as they deliver their weekend messages. Phil doesn’t know it yet, but I’m going to be recording every word he says tomorrow. Please don’t tell him I said that.

We can learn so much from each other. True confession: I’m electronically challenged. It took me years to learn how to flip the “on” switch to our family television set without messing it up. My husband Jeff would tell you that this has NOT improved. Last weekend, I was cleaning out a spare bedroom, and I came across what I thought was an old cable box, no longer in use, still plugged into the wall. The box was warm to the touch, and I figured we didn’t need it, so I simply unplugged it, tossed it in a storage container, and placed it downstairs in the basement. Later that weekend, Jeff flipped on the television set to watch one of his favorite programs, and, for some reason, the satellite didn’t work! It was a beautiful, sunny day outside we were not having any severe wind. We couldn’t figure out why the satellite was not working until I remembered the box. Yes, you guessed it - I unplugged the satellite and we actually had to call David and ask him to come and fix it for us. D’oh! When it comes to electronics, I need all the heavenly help I can get!

Each one of us has been given a special gift to use for kingdom work. My gift is obviously not electronics, but my friend Dorothy is awesome at it! She will teach me a lot this weekend. And I will encourage her every step of the way, because that is a gift that God has given me to use. We can compliment each other, simply because God has brought us together in friendship, and in ministry. Together, we have the incredible opportunity to touch hearts and reach out with Christ’s love around the world. Can you imagine what would happen if our churches pooled their resources, gifts and willing service, working together to spread the Gospel message? It is happening everywhere! Folks are sharing ideas and offering help to help others grow, for the glory of God alone! This is exactly what Jesus told us to do. And it is such a privilege to be part of a body of believers that are not locked in a dead heat competition, but who are more than willing to help each other grow and learn and share.

You know, I probably shouldn’t be the one to plug in the computer tomorrow morning just before worship, because we want it to work! But I will be praying and cheering my friend on. And Dorothy will teach me what I need to learn so that I can be more effective in the work God has called me to do. We can help each other, and the end result is a beautiful thing. Jesus said, “No servant is greater than His master, nor is a messenger greater than the one who sent him. So now that you know these things, you will be blessed IF you do them.”

Today is an awesome day to be doubly blessed! Thank you dear Father, for the gifts you give each of us. We offer ourselves to you today. Teach us how to help each other as we spread Your love around the world together. In Jesus’ name, we pray, Amen.

Grace and peace,

Deb Spaulding

Faith UMC - St. Charles, MO

www.songofdeborah.com

___________________________

© Copyright 2008, Deb Spaulding

All rights reserved

Articles may not be printed in any “for profit” publication without further permission by the author. Articles may be freely distributed via e-mail, reprinted in church bulletins or in other non-profit publications without further permission. Please keep this copyright and Web Site information intact with copied articles. Articles are sent originally to subscribers only. You may have received a forwarded or reprinted copy.

No comments: