Saturday, June 14, 2008

Guiding light

Today’s Reading: John 12:44-46(NIV)

44 The Jesus cried out, “When a man believes in me, he does not believe in me only, but in the One who sent me. 45 When he looks at me, he sees the one who sent me. 46 I have come into the world as a light, so that no one who believes in me should stay in darkness.

Good morning!

Last night, one solitary flame of hope and hundreds of brightly shining luminary candles lit the way for the 2008 American Cancer Society’s Relay for Life. I walked alongside my mother, a breast cancer survivor, and my daughter, a cervical cancer survivor, around the track at Fox High School in Arnold, Missouri. People lined the perimeter of the race track and applauded for the cancer survivors. We couldn’t help but remember the ones who died and now walk silently with us in our hearts and minds. I thought about Pastor Jim and how his faith walk made an impact on so many people in Missouri. Every luminary represents a human heart struggling with a disease that is no respecter of age. There were children walking the track, riding in wheelchairs, and some who were carried in the arms of their parents. It is no secret they are fighting for their lives. One family waited by the edge of the track with teddy bears, and as the children walked by, they were given a new furry friend to love. Tears of sadness and joy dripped from faces in the crowd. I did not know their names, but I recognized them by their love. This experience was a rare and holy moment, and a precious memory I will cherish for the rest of my days.

Can you imagine seeing holy hearts on fire as they heard the words of Jesus that day in Jerusalem? They must have burned like tiny luminary candles, when they realized they were seeing God Almighty in the flesh. Jesus is the light of the world, and when we see the light for what it is, we see the Father of light. It is His light that makes our pathway clear. It is His light that draws us together in love. We can make the journey together without fear, knowing the light of life is leading the way. As I walked around the high school track last night, I wondered if I was getting a tiny taste of the agape love I will one day experience as I walk with my Savior along the golden streets of heaven.

Cancer is one of the dirtiest words I know. I hate what this disease does to people’s lives. I long to see it cured once and for all, and I will continue to walk the path for a cure and I will work to raise much needed research dollars for the day when this insidious disease will be a thing of the past. Isn’t it good to know that we have a Savior who does not leave us alone in the dark? Jesus walks with us, instilling hope for healing, purpose for each new day, and His promise of new life in His holy presence forever. If you are facing cancer today, you do not have to do this alone. Ask Jesus Christ to be your guiding light.

Grace and peace,

Deb Spaulding

Faith UMC - St. Charles, MO

www.songofdeborah.com

___________________________

© Copyright 2008, Deb Spaulding

All rights reserved

Articles may not be printed in any “for profit” publication without further permission by the author. Articles may be freely distributed via e-mail, reprinted in church bulletins or in other non-profit publications without further permission. Please keep this copyright and Web Site information intact with copied articles. Articles are sent originally to subscribers only. You may have received a forwarded or reprinted copy.

No comments: