Thursday, May 15, 2008

The sweet scent of salvation

Today’s Reading: John 12:1-3(NIV)

1 Six days before the Passover, Jesus arrived at Bethany, where Lazarus lived, whom Jesus had raised from the dead. 2 Here a dinner was given in Jesus’ honor. Martha served, while Lazarus was among those reclining at the table with Him. 3 Then Mary took a pint of pure nard, an expensive perfume; she poured it on Jesus’ feet and wiped His feet with her hair. And the house was filled with the fragrance of the perfume.

Good morning!

I remember my very first date. I was waiting for Jeff to arrive, and he showed up in high style, driving his father’s bright yellow Pinto. “The lemon,” as he affectionately called it, became our mode of transport for all our dates. I didn’t realize that this would be the first of many trips that we would make with each other, side by side. Jeff stepped onto our family’s front porch and rang the doorbell. He was dressed in a bright yellow short-sleeved shirt, matching the color of his car, with contrasting plaid pants and a very wide tie tucked underneath his shirt collar. The sweet smell of fresh Polo® cologne swirled about him, and that fragrance quickly became one of my favorite scents. Jeff’s cologne would remain long after he dropped me off after our dates. There are sweet scents in life that we will never forget.

Early on Sunday mornings, Jeff gets up long before I awake. He showers and dresses and leaves for church in the middle of the night to watch and pray and wait upon the Lord. Quite often, I awake to the scent of his after shave, long after he has left the parsonage. It is a sweet reminder of His presence here. Even after Jeff has gone, his cologne is a constant reminder that the one I love may be out of sight, yet he is not far from my heart.

There was a lot of love being celebrated in Bethany that evening. Lazarus was there, enjoying a brand new life he received when Jesus called him to come out from the grave. The Lord was there, reclining at the table near Lazarus, as they enjoyed the evening meal together. Martha had prepared an amazing feast. The smell of freshly baked bread and the delights of a home-cooked meal were wafting around the room. When Mary opened the bottle of pure nard and began pouring it over her Master’s feet, it became a lingering expression of everlasting love. Can you imagine the sweet scent that filled the room?

The sweet scent of salvation is ever-present. There are days like today when I wake up smelling the fresh rain falling gently outside. I hear the sounds of thunder and see the lightning peal across the early morning sky, and I sense the presence of my Savior. I listen for the chirping of the robins outside my window. They praise the Lord each day with glorious melodies, speaking in a language I have yet to understand. I sense my Savior’s presence. He is always near; I am constantly surrounded by His sweet fragrance. When I close my eyes, I get a whiff of pure nard. It was used to prepare His earthly body for death and resurrection. Can you smell the sweet scent of Jesus Christ surrounding you today?

Grace and peace,

Deb Spaulding

Faith UMC - St. Charles, MO

www.songofdeborah.com

___________________________

© Copyright 2008, Deb Spaulding

All rights reserved

Articles may not be printed in any “for profit” publication without further permission by the author. Articles may be freely distributed via e-mail, reprinted in church bulletins or in other non-profit publications without further permission. Please keep this copyright and Web Site information intact with copied articles. Articles are sent originally to subscribers only. You may have received a forwarded or reprinted copy.

No comments: