Thursday, May 29, 2008

Hidden treasure, fine pearls and crab legs

Today’s Reading: Matthew 13:44-45(NIV)

[Jesus said,] 44 “The kingdom of heaven is like a treasure hidden in a field. When a man found it, he hid it again, and then in his joy went and sold all he had and bought that field.” 45 “Again, the kingdom of heaven is like a merchant looking for fine pearls. 46 When he found one of great value, he went away and sold everything he had and bought it.

Good morning!

Jeff and I celebrated our thirty-first wedding anniversary together at one of our favorite local restaurants in St. Charles last night. I ordered one of my favorite dishes: crab legs. If you’ve ever eaten crab legs, you will understand the amount of work one goes to just to get at that priceless piece of meat on the inside of the hardened shell. I confessed to our waitress that I was not very good with cracking crab leg shells, and asked that she bring me a bib and some sort of armored protection for my husband, who was sitting within firing range.

Now, my sister is the best crab leg cracker I know. She can crack a crab leg, pull out the meat and consume the delicacy within seconds. Pam is a real pro at this. How I longed to have her sitting next to me last night, giving me a few pointers. It was not pretty and she would have laughed herself silly just watching me work. Jeff is not a seafood connoisseur and had long finished his steak dinner before I finished my meal. He had to suffer through watching me whack away at those crab legs. I took a break once so that I could wash my hands. One has to work hard to get to the good stuff underneath the hardened shell.

My friend Jesus joined us for dinner last night. He is always there just when I need Him the most. A trained fisherman, I’m sure He got a kick out of watching me struggle with those crab legs. I could hear Him whispering in my ear while I worked to get to the good stuff. Jesus said that the kingdom of heaven is the most valuable acquisition we will ever receive. It is more precious than gold, more valuable than all the riches of this world; a priceless treasure worth pursuing above all. Like the merchant who sold everything he had, simply to acquire that pearl of great price, the kingdom of heaven is worth pursuing with everything you’ve got. When the man found the hidden treasure in a field, he sold everything he had to buy the field. Tasting that crab meat was worth persevering for, just like experiencing God's best for my life today, and for the eternity He has planned for me in glory.

Do not hesitate to share your faith in Jesus with others, especially when seems hard to do. You may be fighting with some tough exteriors, trying to break through the hardened shells of complacency, selfishness, and disbelief. The treasure of heaven is a gift that has eternal value. Jesus does not want anyone to miss out on the feast He is preparing for all who will believe on Him. Do not give up when the walls seem insurmountable. Work hard to share the good news with everyone around you. The sweet taste of an eternity in Jesus’ holy presence will make your every effort worthwhile.

Grace and peace,

Deb Spaulding

Faith UMC - St. Charles, MO

www.songofdeborah.com

___________________________

© Copyright 2008, Deb Spaulding

All rights reserved

Articles may not be printed in any “for profit” publication without further permission by the author. Articles may be freely distributed via e-mail, reprinted in church bulletins or in other non-profit publications without further permission. Please keep this copyright and Web Site information intact with copied articles. Articles are sent originally to subscribers only. You may have received a forwarded or reprinted copy.

1 comment:

DannyG said...

Add to this how hard it is to catch those crab in the first place. After a few seasons of "Deadliest Catch" I can't eat crab legs again without thinking of how much work it taks to get them to my plate.