Sunday, April 06, 2008

Believing is not seeing

Today’s Reading: John 10:24 (NIV)

24 The Jews gathered around Him, saying, “How long will you keep us in suspense? If you are the Christ, tell us plainly.”

Good morning!

Of all the gifts I’ve ever received, it is the gift of faith I cherish the most. Faith is a verb – alive and active in the hearts and minds of those who believe. We hold fast to the faith that took root in our lives when we first heard Christ’s testimony and believed. It is that same faith that brings us through some of the toughest things in life. Faith gives us a strong fighting spirit, and births hope for a better day tomorrow. Let me tell you about faith in action.

Last night, I sat with Rachel and our dear friend Meredith at the hospital. Meredith has been battling melanoma for several years now. What started as a skin cancer has now moved to her lungs and brain. She is finishing a series of radiation treatments in-patient, after suffering some paralysis while undergoing treatment. She is a resilient woman, who has certainly dealt with a lot of physical adversity in the last few years. When I want to see faith in motion, I only have to look at Meredith’s uncompromising determination and her uncanny ability to laugh in extreme situations. We laughed a lot last night. She has the gift of faith.

We choose to put our faith into action each day, no matter what our circumstances may be. I have faith that I will tackle today’s work. I pray without ceasing as I read and work through the requirements of a school syllabus runneth amuck. I have faith I will graduate from college in 2009. I know my faith maker intimately; He is my Savior and Lord, and in Him, all things are possible. I’ve learned to count on Jesus Christ for every need. Who gives you faith for each new day?

The people who gathered around the Lord wanted proof positive that Jesus is God’s Messiah. Even though Christ had performed many miracles right in front of them, there were many who doubted. It takes great faith to step apart from the comfort of the crowd, and take your stand. When we trust Christ enough to give Him our hearts, His Holy Spirit gives us His gift of faith. It is a faith we can count on in sunshine and rain. We face adversity knowing there is someone who holds us close every step of the way. With faith, we do not have to see to believe.

Meredith’s faith in Christ gives me great hope for this day and every tomorrow. Believing is not seeing! What will it take for you to trust Jesus Christ with your life today?

Grace and peace,

Deb Spaulding

Faith UMC - St. Charles, MO

www.songofdeborah.com

___________________________

© Copyright 2008, Deb Spaulding

All rights reserved

Articles may not be printed in any “for profit” publication without further permission by the author. Articles may be freely distributed via e-mail, reprinted in church bulletins or in other non-profit publications without further permission. Please keep this copyright and Web Site information intact with copied articles. Articles are sent originally to subscribers only. You may have received a forwarded or reprinted copy.

No comments: