Tuesday, March 18, 2008

The Gatekeeper

Today’s Reading: John 10:7 (NIV)

7 Therefore, Jesus said again, “I tell you the truth, I am the gate for the sheep.”

Good morning!

As a young child, I was truly fascinated by the turn styles at Busch Stadium in downtown St. Louis. Our family went to watch Cardinals’ baseball games every summer. Amid throngs of avid fans, we would walk hand-in-hand to the main gate of the stadium. There, Daddy would pull out the passes from his shirt pocket and give them to the waiting usher. He would tear the perforated portion from the ticket, motioning for me to slide through the gate. Only one person could slide through at a time. It made a funny clicking noise, kind of like the sound you hear when depositing a coin into a piggy bank. I was small enough then to fit through with ease. It is much harder now to squeeze through the tiny opening than it was when I was a child. I’ve often wondered whether those turn-styles somehow shrunk with age.

A friend recently posted an online picture of a sheep gate he visited while in Scotland. I was intrigued by the short, narrow opening – there was only one way in. I think I’m beginning to understand the prophetic words of John the Baptist, as he spoke about the promised Messiah. He said, “He must become greater, and I must become less.” (John 3:30 NIV)

Jesus said, “I tell you the truth, I am the gate for the sheep.” One day, I will approach the gate that leads from this life to life everlasting. I will meet the Gatekeeper face to face. Will I fit through the tiny turn style? There is only One Way in. I can fully rely upon His Word. I know He must increase within me, and I must decrease for His glory. Jesus will shrink-wrap me in His precious blood, as I slide right through heaven’s door. There, I will worship and glorify the Father, Son and Holy Spirit forevermore.

Jesus is the Gatekeeper. Do you know Him?

Grace and peace,

Deb Spaulding

Faith UMC - St. Charles, MO

www.songofdeborah.com

___________________________

© Copyright 2008, Deb Spaulding

All rights reserved

Articles may not be printed in any “for profit” publication without further permission by the author. Articles may be freely distributed via e-mail, reprinted in church bulletins or in other non-profit publications without further permission. Please keep this copyright and Web Site information intact with copied articles. Articles are sent originally to subscribers only. You may have received a forwarded or reprinted copy.

No comments: