Thursday, January 17, 2008

Get up!

Today’s Reading: John 5:6-9 (NIV)

6 When Jesus saw him lying there and learned that he had been in this condition for a long time, he asked him, “Do you want to get well?” 7 “Sir,” the invalid replied, “I have no one to help me into the pool when the water is stirred. While I am trying to get in, someone else goes down ahead of me.” 8 Then Jesus said to him, “Get up! Pick up your mat and walk.” 9 At once the man was cured; he picked up his mat and walked.

Memory Verse: “Therefore welcome one another as Christ has welcomed you, for the glory of God.” (Romans 15:7 ESV)

Good day!

Hopeless! Sometimes I look at the stack of school work on top of my desk and that voice inside my head begins to sing a little song of lament. “Why try? You’ll never get through that stack of reading material. Oh, and by the way, you have two papers due at the end of this week. Now, you tell me, little girl, when are you going to have time to write those papers? After work! Right… We’ll just see how many hours you can sit at that computer and type.” It plays over and over like a broken record, repeating its sad, silly tune. In case you haven’t already figured it out, I suffer with multiple vocal personality disorder. I hear these voices, and they sing in three-part harmony, but it is NOT a sweet sound and no matter how hard I try, they won’t shut up…

We need to listen to ourselves moan, and laugh out loud! We give up way too easily on the things of life, both trivial and important. My problems are nothing compared to the plight of my brothers and sisters who are fighting for their lives in Kenya today. There are children starving all over the world. Christians are being persecuted, tortured and martyred for their faith. People are dying every minute. Do they have a relationship with Jesus Christ? Will they find ultimate healing and freedom in His holy presence or be forever lost, in total separation from God?

The invalid spoke truth to the Master. He said, “I have no one to help me get into the pool when the water is stirred. While I am trying to get in, someone else goes down ahead of me.” God love this man for trying! Every day he crawled to the pool at Bethesda, hoping to receive his miracle. For thirty-eight years, he would go all the way to the edge, and then stop. That little voice of defeat kept him from getting in and experiencing full release. Did he not have enough faith to take the final plunge? Is it easier to stay stuck where we are, rather than trusting Jesus to free us once and for all?

Jesus said, “Get up!” His Word speaks to you and me today. No matter what you face, you are not alone. Christ has gone on before you. He knows your situation; the pain you are living in. You don’t have to look far to see suffering and pain. Will you trust Jesus enough to get up, pick up your life, and walk?

Grace and peace,

Deb Spaulding

Faith UMC - St. Charles, MO

www.songofdeborah.com

Teach me, Lord, to trust you enough to get up, pick up my life, and walk for you today, Amen.

___________________________

© Copyright 2008, Deb Spaulding

All rights reserved

Articles may not be printed in any “for profit” publication without further permission by the author. Articles may be freely distributed via e-mail, reprinted in church bulletins or in other non-profit publications without further permission. Please keep this copyright and Web Site information intact with copied articles. Articles are sent originally to subscribers only. You may have received a forwarded or reprinted copy.