Sunday, November 11, 2007

Thank you Lord for pastors

Grand Sweep Daily Reading: Romans 9, 10, 11

Romans 10:14-15 (NIV)

14 How, then, can they call on the One they have not believed in? And how can they believe in the One of whom they have not heard? And how can they hear without someone preaching to them? 15 And how can they preach unless they are sent? As it is written, “How beautiful are the feet of those who bring good news!”

Good morning!

Every Sunday morning, I spend a few quiet moments thanking God for the pastors in my life. When I was a little girl, I used to shrink back in the pew and bury myself in my mother’s suit jacket when the pastor would begin to raise his voice, thumping the pulpit with his Bible in hand. He looked really big up there, standing underneath what looked like some sort of heavy crown suspended in mid-air, hanging right over the pastor’s head. I often wondered what might happen if God heard the pastor say something from the pulpit He didn’t like. That cord holding that heavy piece of concrete might suddenly snap, falling on the pastor and squish him mid-sentence! Isn’t it amazing where one’s mind can wander during a sermon?

It took awhile for me to realize that pastors were not really scary people after all. Pastor Murrell made a truly positive impression on me. He had a kind and humble heart, and he was very friendly! When Pastor Murrell walked into a room, his smile was the only light we needed. And how this man could sing! I could sit and listen to him sing all day long. His favorite scripture verse was John 3:16 and he found a way to preach it every Sunday in worship. I think it was one of the first verses of Scripture I memorized, and I’m certain Pastor’s weekly messages helped me hold on to this treasure in my heart.

It’s a good thing I grew out of my fear of pastors, especially since I married one. Here is what I’ve learned about pastors. They are just ordinary people, who answer the call to serve the Lord Jesus Christ with their lives. When my husband Jeff answered his call to ministry, he was seventeen years old. We were dating then, and I have to say, neither of us had a clue what full-time ministry would look like. Yet, Jeff knew in his heart that the Lord was calling him to serve, so he pursued it with a passion. Pastors are like that. Their primary focus is to introduce people to Jesus Christ, encouraging them to accept the Lord as their personal Savior. Pastors have a variety of spiritual gifts. Every pastor has a unique and distinct gift mix, and not all pastors are alike. They don’t look alike, and they certainly don’t think or act alike. Yet, every pastor has one very strong and similar characteristic. They love the Lord Jesus Christ more than anything else in life, and you can see it when you take a close look at their heart.

Pastors are everywhere. Some serve in a professional capacity, as ordained clergy, leading worship services each week. Others are serving the Lord in full-time mission ministries. Some pastors are full-time teachers in our colleges and universities. Many spend their days serving the poor and hungry in local shelters and at food banks. No matter where they are serving, the invitation is always the same: Come! Come and meet the One who has totally changed my life. Let me introduce you to my very best friend. Let me tell you about Jesus.

Today, I’m truly thankful for pastors everywhere, who take the Gospel message into the world every day. I don’t think we say thank you enough for the faithful work they do. Make time today to thank the pastors in your life, who dare to share the Gospel with the world.

Grace and peace,

Deb Spaulding

Faith UMC - St. Charles, MO

www.songofdeborah.com

Pray for: pastors everywhere! They need our encouragement. Remember to say thank you to the pastors who serve the Lord faithfully by offering Jesus Christ to you and me, every day.

___________________________

© Copyright 2007, Deb Spaulding

All rights reserved

Articles may not be printed in any “for profit” publication without further permission by the author. Articles may be freely distributed via e-mail, reprinted in church bulletins or in other non-profit publications without further permission. Please keep this copyright and Web Site information intact with copied articles. Articles are sent originally to subscribers only. You may have received a forwarded or reprinted copy.