Saturday, October 06, 2007

When Jesus calls, I hope my hearing aids are on and working

Grand Sweep Daily Reading: Mark 4, 5, 6

Mark 4:9 (NIV)

Then Jesus said, “He who has ears to hear, let him hear.”

Matthew 13:14-15 (NIV)

In them is fulfilled the prophecy of Isaiah:

“You will be ever hearing but never understanding; you will be ever seeing but never perceiving. 15 For this people’s heart has become calloused; they hardly hear with their ears, and they have closed their eyes. Otherwise they might see with their eyes, hear with their ears, understand with their hearts and turn, and I would heal them.”

Good morning!

I don’t wear hearing aids YET but I know the day is coming. Sometimes, when people are talking to me, their words do not seem very clear. There are moments when I don’t hear the phone ringing at work. I have trouble distinguishing tones. There was a time when I was much better at this; but not so much any more. Why does our hearing become dull over time? Why does our vision lack the acuity to see what was once clear? Why can’t we hold onto the physical and spiritual gifts of sight, hearing, taste, touch and smell?

My mother is deaf now. She is an amazing lady at eighty-four. How I hope to be as well preserved as she is at eighty-four. She walks every day, enjoys Tai Chi classes with her friends, and is busy with service opportunities at her church and in the retirement community where she lives. After my father died eleven years ago, Mom struggled to get by on her own. She had never really been alone. After Mom graduated from high school, she, along with four of her very best friends, moved into a tiny apartment in Memphis, Tennessee, where they worked in factories building fighter jets for the war. Mom was known as a Rosie the Riveter, because she was small enough to fit into the nose of the plane, and work on the drilling there. I don’t know if the noise from that kind of work contributed to her hearing loss, but even with the help of modern technology, she struggles to hear my voice. She cannot hear me unless she is looking at me. Mom has become an amazing lip reader.

Jesus’ miracles were amazing, miraculous, uncanny works of God in a world where people were unaccustomed to seeing and hearing Good News. Many were starving for a love, a peace, true hope and joy that only God can give. When Jesus showed up in the flesh, it was hard to take it all in. The disciples were right there, watching every touch, hearing His every word, and yet, they could not understand it. We read His Word on the printed page. We see the mysteries unfold. Why can’t we let go of our doubts just long enough to trust the One who can heal our hearts completely? We need help to truly hear the Lord speak.

This morning, I’m praying for Holy Spirit power: the kind of power that transforms my imperfections in Christ. I’m asking for Jesus to clear up my hearing, correct my near-sighted vision, and tame my tongue just long enough so I can hear His still small voice speak. I don’t want to miss out on His Word for my life. I know my senses are flawed and weak, from the wear and tear of daily living. It’s going to take a miracle, and He is the only miracle worker I know who can heal me. And so I’m asking for the Holy Spirit covering. I don’t want to miss out when He speaks.

When my mother doesn’t hear me, she often stops, and says something like, “Huh?” “What did you say?” I find myself asking God the same questions in prayer. I need the Holy Spirit power to turn up my senses and calm any doubt or fear I may have, especially when God is trying to convey His will for my life. We are so blessed to have the Holy Spirit power. Jesus promises that if we will just see with our eyes and hear with our ears, He in turn, will heal us.

Are you ready to be healed?

Grace and peace,

Deb Spaulding

Faith UMC - St. Charles, MO

www.songofdeborah.com

Pray for: ears to hear and eyes to see what God is doing in your life! Ask the Holy Spirit to open your heart, mind, and soul to the possibilities that the Lord has planned for you. He is calling out your name today. Can you hear Him? Ask the Holy Spirit to turn your spiritual hearing aids up, so you don’t miss out on a single Word from the Lord.

____________________________

© Copyright 2007, Deb Spaulding

All rights reserved

Articles may not be printed in any “for profit” publication without further permission by the author. Articles may be freely distributed via e-mail, reprinted in church bulletins or in other non-profit publications without further permission. Please keep this copyright and Web Site information intact with copied articles. Articles are sent originally to subscribers only. You may have received a forwarded or reprinted copy.