Thursday, September 06, 2007

Life light

Grand Sweep Daily Reading: Hosea 13, 14; Psalm 119:73-120

Psalm 119:178 (NIV)

178 I have strayed like a lost sheep; seek your servant, for I have not forgotten your commands.

Hosea 14:9 (NIV)

9 Who is wise? He will realize these things. Who is discerning? He will understand them. The ways of the Lord are right; the righteous will walk in them, but the rebellious stumble in them.

Good morning!

I seem to lose my balance easily, especially at night when I first get up. My eyes simply refuse to focus in total darkness. I am extremely near sighted and have an acute astigmatism. Jeff has difficulty hearing. When my contacts are in and his hearings are in place and on, we do okay. But late at night, when the appliances are tucked neatly into their storage containers and we are left alone to fend in the dark, we make quite a pair, the two of us! He cannot hear me when I say, “I’m sorry honey – I have to turn the light on for just a second.” I know Jeff forgives me for flashing a bright light in his face when he’s catching a rim cycle at 4am. Pastors simply have to forgive their spouses – it’s written somewhere in the Good Book!

Do you ever stumble in the dark? I’ve banged my feet on the corner of the bed post or another piece of furniture that seemed to move itself from its proper location, just waiting for me to walk into it in the middle of the night. Sometimes I stumble and fall, especially when life seems dark and the shadows surround me like thick, dense clouds that form after a hot summer shower.

It takes a greater vision than I have to walk in His righteousness alone. If I rely solely upon my weak vision and half-hearted attempts to carry me through a dark and lonely space, I’m going to fall. Like a little lost lamb, there are times when I wander away from the faith that holds me close. I don’t know if it is just a stumbling block in the darkness, or if I simply get turned around trying to figure out how to maneuver a particular obstacle placed in my path. Sometimes, I stray. Have you ever strayed away from the Lord who loves you?

When we seek to walk in the righteousness of Jesus Christ, we cannot depend upon our own good works and deeds. Maybe you’ve been blessed with many successes in life. God has given you the gifts of leadership and you push forward to offer help and hope to others along the way. When we forget to let the Lord lead, we’re bound to walk into a brick wall. It’s hard not to jump out ahead of God from time to time. Our skill sets and good looks can only take us so far. We must be willing to let the Lord lead us. Even if you have the gift of vision, your nearsightedness will keep you from walking in His righteousness alone. We must trust Jesus in all things, everywhere, at all times.

Someday the darkness will be no more. In the everlasting light of God’s glory, we will see things clearer than ever before. Until then, we must hang on to the One who can help us maneuver in the dark spaces of daily living. Seek His light, and He will find you, right where you are at, no matter what obstacles you face. Ask the Lord of life to find you today. Even in the darkest pit, when we strain to hear His still, small voice, He will hear our cries for help and answer. He is the only life light we need.

Grace and peace,

Deb Spaulding

www.songofdeborah.com

Pray for: a closer walk with God. He will be your life light, shining in the dark places and making a way for you to walk through. Do not trust in your own abilities. Seek ye first the kingdom and His righteousness alone. And all these things shall be added unto you… Hallelujah!

___________________________________________

© Copyright 2007, Deb Spaulding

All rights reserved

Articles may not be printed in any “for profit” publication without further permission by the author. Articles may be freely distributed via e-mail, reprinted in church bulletins or in other non-profit publications without further permission. Please keep this copyright and Web Site information intact with copied articles. Articles are sent originally to subscribers only. You may have received a forwarded or reprinted copy.