Friday, July 13, 2007

The highway of holiness

Grand Sweep Daily Reading: Isaiah 33, 34, 35

Isaiah 35:3-4; 8

3 Strengthen the feeble hands, steady the knees that give way;

4 Say to those with fearful hearts, “Be strong, do not fear; your God will come,

He will come with vengeance; with divine retribution – He will come to save you.

8 And a highway will be there; it will be called the Way of Holiness.

The unclean will not journey on it; it will be for those who walk in that Way;

Wicked fools will not go about on it.

Good morning!

All of us find ourselves traveling down the highway of life. And while our paths may be different, we are all family here, and there is commonality in our journey.

For those of us who have met Jesus Christ, fallen in love with Him, and have given our hearts over to His forgiveness, grace and mercy, we are compelled to follow Him down the highway of holiness. It begins from the very first time we hear about His love for us. You may have met Him at home, listening to the stories your parents read to you from the family Bible. Or, you may have sung about Him in Sunday School as a young child. One of my earliest recollections and fondest memories was sitting near the piano in Sunday School, and watching the feet of my Sunday School teacher use the foot pedals while she played “Jesus Loves Me,” “Jesus Wants Me For a Sunbeam,” “I Have the Joy, Joy, Joy, Joy, Down in my Heart,” and “Deep and Wide.” Watching her play praises to our King is a memory I will never forget. Where did you meet Jesus? Tell me how you found yourself merging onto the highway of holiness.

As I began to grow in my faith, I found that I could learn best when surrounded by others who were longing to know more about their Lord. So I went to Bible School, and Sunday School, and Small Group Studies, and found places where I could plug in outside of worship, to really begin to explore faith. I discovered that my love for Jesus did not have to happen only one day a week. I could find time to learn and grow every day! This prompted me to press the accelerator and move just a little quicker each day along the road. The view from the highway of holiness is worth the trip alone. The view from the foot of the cross is unlike any other I have ever known.

As I moved down the highway of years, I began to experience a freedom in His presence. I find time each day to sit alone in a room with no noise, no distraction, no television or radio playing in the background. These are special moments when all I can hear is the beating of my heart and the ticking of the clock in our great room. I offer a prayer of thanksgiving to the One who gives me this life, and new life, and life everlasting. I wait for Him to join me there. Jesus always shows up. Sometimes I feel Him brush my outstretched hand. Other times, I can sense His overwhelming love for me, like someone holding me in His arms. In moments of anxiety or unhappiness, as the tears roll down my face, I can feel the light of His love on my face as He catches them in His hands. He speaks, not always in audible words; although sometimes, there are words. In many instances, it is a strange warming of my heart, and I know beyond a doubt, that I have experienced His presence in a real and personal way. It is that presence that heals, forgives and redirects my spirit as I continue down the path.

His holiness is something I long for every day. Jesus Christ was perfect. He was fully God and fully human. He never sinned, no, not once. Yet he chose to carry the sins of the world to the cross to bridge the gap between my imperfections and His total perfection. He loves me! He loves you! In the silence of worship, I can hear Him speak. Can you hear Him this morning?

The highway of holiness is the scenic route home. Driving this highway is like traveling through the mountains, windy and narrow roadways. If you look to the right, you see beautiful wildflowers springing up in the fields below. If you look to the left, you can see the water running off the mountain peaks and forming beautiful waterfalls, flowing gently into the rivers along the valley. If you look up, you will see the snow capped peaks and the sun shining brightly across its white, sparkling hue. If you look down, it is a long way from where you’ve started, and it easier to look ahead, as you continue along the highway home.

Jesus is my home. He is my destination. I run to Him each day as I travel along the path He has carved out for me. There is a place for you on this road. Won’t you choose to enter the highway of holiness? It is easy to get here. All you have to do is invite Jesus Christ to come into your heart today. Ask Him to be the Lord of your life. When you do this, He will take you on the journey you have waited for your entire life. He will bridge the gap between you and God. Come into His holy presence today. And don’t forget to enjoy the view.

Grace and peace,

Deb Spaulding

www.songofdeborah.com

Pray for: the highway of holiness to become your daily commute. Ask Jesus to take you there. In His presence, you will find all you have ever longed for. His love is amazing. His Word is perfect. Take the journey today. Everything shifts in the presence of His holiness.

___________________________________________

© Copyright 2007, Deb Spaulding

All rights reserved

Articles may not be printed in any “for profit” publication without further permission by the author. Articles may be freely distributed via e-mail, reprinted in church bulletins or in other non-profit publications without further permission. Please keep this copyright and Web Site information intact with copied articles. Articles are sent originally to subscribers only. You may have received a forwarded or reprinted copy.