Sunday, June 17, 2007

Walking with a heart limp

Grand Sweep Daily Reading: Job 16, 17, 18

Job 17:11 (NIV)
[Job said] 11 “My days have passed, my plans are shattered, and so are the desires of my heart.”

2 Corinthians 4:16-18 (NIV)
[Paul said] 16 Therefore we do not lose heart. Though outwardly we are wasting away, yet inwardly we are being renewed day by day. 17 For our light and momentary troubles are achieving for us an eternal glory that far outweighs them all. 18 So we fix our eyes not on what is seen, but on what is unseen. For what is seen is temporary, but what is unseen is eternal.

John 16:33 (NIV)
[Jesus said] 33 “I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace. In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world.


Good morning!

Every year, I look forward to hearing from published author and renowned speaker Patsy Clairmont at the Women of Faith Conference. I like Patsy because she is short and sassy; someone I’d like to emulate when I grow up. She has a wit and charm about her that is a true gift of grace from God. If you’ve ever read any of Patsy’s books, you will know that she is a living, breathing, walking, talking miracle! Patsy was healed from an illness known as severe agoraphobia [the fear of open spaces.] This humble woman, who spent many years locked in seclusion within the confines of her home, now travels the globe with the Women of Faith team, spreading the Gospel message of Jesus Christ by speaking to thousands of people each week. Patsy’s message spoke to my heart this weekend, as she eloquently explained how the joy and healing she experiences through faith in Jesus Christ helps her navigate the valleys of life.

Job was walking with a heart limp through his valley of grief and despair. His bones were brittle and frail as the boils and sores caused from his physical infirmity continued to eat away at his flesh. Overwhelmed by immense physical and emotional pain, Job was more than ready to give up the fight. His three best friends were growing tired of listening to Job's unending rant. In a moment of sheer exasperation, Bildad exclaims: “When will you end these speeches? Be sensible, and then we can talk.” (Job 18:2 NIV). Do the people in your life ever get tired of listening to you complain?

In her book Dancing Bones: Living Lively in the Valley, Clairmont describes walking in the valleys of life with a heart limp. The faith that comes from knowing and loving Jesus Christ gives me hope and strength to walk in the valleys of my life. I’m not getting any younger, and I can promise you that my physical body is definitely on the downhill slide. Because I know a greater tomorrow is on its way, my heart is filled with a joyful exuberance that can only come through experiencing new life in Jesus Christ. Whenever I find myself stuck in a valley rut, I reposition myself so I can look up! There are some things in this world that we may never see clearly or understand. Knowing this suffering is a temporary situation, I hold onto the hope of Christ, weaving my way along the uneven path. My Lord is there, right beside me, every step of the way. Sometimes, I can feel Him holding my hand. Do you know what it is like to hold the nail-scarred hand of your Savior?

Jesus said we could expect trouble in this world – the good news is that He has already overcome it! Christ offers hope for all who are walking with a heart limp in the valleys of life.

Won’t you ask Jesus to take your hand and walk with you today? He has the power to heal your pain and calm your fears once and for all. Come join me in worship at Faith Church. Together, we can lift up our hands and hearts to the Lord. When Jesus sets you free, you are free indeed! It’s time to lose the limp!

Grace and peace,

Deb Spaulding
www.songofdeborah.com


Pray for: the peace of Christ to rest upon your heart today. There is great joy, knowing you don’t have to walk through the valleys of your life all alone. Ask Jesus to set you free! He will do it, if you will let Him. Will you let Him?
________________________________
© Copyright 2007, Deb Spaulding
All rights reserved
Articles may not be printed in any “for profit” publication without further permission by the author. Articles may be freely distributed via e-mail, reprinted in church bulletins or in other non-profit publications without further permission. Please keep this copyright and Web Site information intact with copied articles. Articles are sent originally to subscribers only. You may have received a forwarded or reprinted copy.