Friday, June 29, 2007

Running in faith circles

Grand Sweep Daily Reading: Ecclesiates 10, 11, 12

Ecclesiastes 11:1; 9-10 (NIV)

1 Cast your bread upon the waters, for after many days you will find it again.

9 Be happy, young man, while you are young, and let your heart give you joy in the days of your youth. Follow the ways of your heart and whatever your eyes see, but know that for all these things God will bring you to judgment. 10 So then, banish anxiety from your heart and cast off the troubles of your body, for youth and vigor are meaningless.

Ecclesiastes 12:13-14 (NIV)

13 Now all has been heard; here is the conclusion of the matter: Fear God and keep His commandments, for this is the whole duty of man. 14 For God will bring every deed into judgment, including every hidden thing, whether it is good or evil.

Good morning!

Do you ever feel like you are running in circles? Some of my days are absolute blurs and yesterday was one of them. I wonder where those hazy, lazy days of summer have gone. When I was a young girl, I loved swinging on the jungle gym in our back yard, nestled underneath the apple trees. Even on a really hot day, those enormous, leafy branches made the backyard a cool and shady refuge from the heat of the summer sun. From my perch on top of the swing set, I would spend hours just watching the clouds float by on a blue backdrop of unending sky. I saw the shapes and faces of the angels, glorifying God in the clouds. They were always there, floating around on those billowy pillows, and I could see them clearly then. Every time I hop on an airplane, I make sure to check out the cloud formations in the sky and I look for the angels. Even when I can’t see them clearly, I know they are there. How I love watching rainbows appear after a hard summer’s downpour. The smell of rain in the air reminds me of those incredible summer moments I enjoyed as a young child. It seems like it was just yesterday, but I know it’s been years since I’ve spent an afternoon swinging underneath the shade trees, watching my angels play in the sky above.

Where does time go?

King Solomon understood the sheer joy of being young. Like the King, matters of faith came easier to me when I was a child. Everything was simpler to understand and accept. Faith can be marred in the adversities we face in life. When difficulties came along and the questions I asked were not being answered, I began to wonder whether what I had believed in was true. Have you ever questioned your faith? Why is it so important to know and love the Lord? Sometimes we run in faith circles, chasing ourselves up and down the hills of life. Busyness and business get in the way of seeking the answers to our deepest longings. Sometimes, we must return to the days of our youth, and remember what it was like to see the angels playing above us in the sky.

If you are feeling anxious today, running in circles and wondering when the merry-go-round will stop, take a moment and sit in the awesome presence of the Lord. Let Him speak to your heart. King Solomon reminds us that our entire duty in life is to fear the Lord with a healthy respect; to discover for yourself who He is and whose we are in Him, and to obey His commandments. If we don’t make time to study, pray and worship, how will we ever get to know the Lord? If we want to please God, we need to set aside the things that distract us from Him. Take some time today to love the Lord with all our heart, soul, mind and strength, and to love your neighbor the way you love and care for yourself. Go outside, find a swing set to sit on, and look up. You may see an angel or two, floating around in the clouds, smiling back at you.

Grace and peace,

Deb Spaulding

www.songofdeborah.com

Pray for: your spirit to be refreshed today, in the amazing grace of God. Won’t you love Him with everything you’ve got? If you find yourself running in circles today, stop, breathe, and enjoy a time of faith, set apart, with your Savior, Jesus Christ.

________________________________

© Copyright 2007, Deb Spaulding

All rights reserved

Articles may not be printed in any “for profit” publication without further permission by the author. Articles may be freely distributed via e-mail, reprinted in church bulletins or in other non-profit publications without further permission. Please keep this copyright and Web Site information intact with copied articles. Articles are sent originally to subscribers only. You may have received a forwarded or reprinted copy.