Tuesday, May 15, 2007

The heart of a cheerleader

Grand Sweep Daily Reading: 1 Chronicles 22, 23, 24 (NIV)

1 Chronicles 22:11-13 (NIV)
11 “Now, my son, the Lord be with you, and may you have success and build the house of the Lord your God, as He said you would. 12 May the Lord give you discretion and understanding when He puts you in command over Israel, so that you may keep the law of the Lord your God. 13 Then you will have success if you are careful to observe the decrees and laws that the Lord gave Moses for Israel. Be strong and courageous. Do not be afraid or discouraged.


Good morning!

When I realized I wasn’t going to make the Pom Pom squad in Junior High, I was personally crushed. My nature is to be an encourager and supporter, and I lacked nothing in team spirit. Unfortunately, I was not very coordinated. I could jump and shout with the best of my sisters, but when it came to moving in motion, watching me dance was comical, and very frustrating for my team. I made the first cut, but failed in the finals. I really wanted to wear the team colors and cheer our school on to victory. Fortunately for the Pommies, they were better off if I was cheering from the sidelines rather than on the squad.

Have you ever felt called to do something, yet found you might not be equipped for the job? There is not a person alive who doesn’t want to feel successful in the vocation to which they are called. King David really wanted to build the temple, but when God said no, He bore no resentment toward the calling of his son, Solomon. Instead, this loving father prayed that his son would be equipped with the skill sets and wisdom necessary to get the job done. He supported the boy with prayer and praise. What an amazing contribution David made to the construction of the temple by supporting and encouraging his son to carry out the job at hand.

If someone handed me a hammer, nails, and a level, expecting me to erect something solid and stable, they would be sorely disappointed at the finished product. With a master’s instruction, I could potentially learn how to become an expert carpenter; then again, maybe not. I thank God for the gift mix of our church trustees every day. Please don’t ever hand me a power tool. It’s a truly dangerous thing for every person involved.

The Lord has given each of us special gifts and graces. We are unique creations of the master artist. When we are able to recognize and accept our strengths and weaknesses for what they are, we can find ways to make a positive contribution to the work we are called to do. It is important that we lay aside our petty jealousies, and encourage each another. Cheerleaders in the bleachers are just as important as the squad jumping around on the gymnasium floor. I may not be very good with construction, but I can make a mean turkey sandwich, and maybe I should be the person to feed the carpenters who are raising the roof of the temple.

We are better together. Every heart is valuable treasure to the Lord. Every one of us has an opportunity to share the message of salvation with the people who surround us each day. How will you choose to contribute to the task at hand?

Grace and peace,

Deb Spaulding
www.songofdeborah.com


Pray for: the Lord to reveal your gift mix. Do not be envious or discouraged by what you may not possess. Hand Jesus your heart today, and just watch what He can do through the amazing gift of you.
________________________________
© Copyright 2007, Deb Spaulding
All rights reserved
Articles may not be printed in any “for profit” publication without further permission by the author. Articles may be freely distributed via e-mail, reprinted in church bulletins or in other non-profit publications without further permission. Please keep this copyright and Web Site information intact with copied articles. Articles are sent originally to subscribers only. You may have received a forwarded or reprinted copy.