Saturday, April 21, 2007

House of Prayer

Grand Sweep Daily Reading: I Kings 7, 8, 9; Psalm 65

I Kings 9:3 (NIV)
3 [The Lord said to Solomon] “I have heard the prayer and plea you have made before me; I have consecrated this temple, which you have built, by putting my Name there forever. My eyes and my heart will always be there.”

Psalm 65:1-4 (NIV)
1 Praise awaits you, O God, in Zion; to you our vows will be fulfilled. 2 O you who hear prayer, to you all men will come. 3 When we were overwhelmed by sins, you forgave our transgressions. 4 Blessed are those you choose and bring near to live in your courts! We are filled with the good things of your house, of your holy temple.

I Corinthians 6:19-20 (NIV)
19 Do you not know that your body is a temple of the Holy Spirit, who is in you, whom you have received from God? You are not your own; 20 you were bought at a price. Therefore, honor God with your body.


Good morning!

Whenever I visit neighboring churches, I find myself drawn to their prayer rooms. There is something very special in these tiny spaces of grace, where our tears and whispered prayers rise up to the Father in heaven. Prayer rooms are designated spaces where one can pray for pastors and the congregation during worship services. Many sit in prayer rooms each weekend, begging for the Holy Spirit to open the hearts and minds of worshippers and their worship leaders to the life-saving message of salvation through Jesus Christ alone. Prayer rooms are places of quiet confession, redemption and healing. It is a safe space to listen for the Lord to speak. Have you ever experienced a holy moment inside the prayer room at your church?

Prayer rooms can be established anywhere. I have a special place in my home where I go to study scripture and pray each day. It is a sacred space, a place where I connect intimately with my Savior. I assure you – this room does not look like a sacred space. When you visit the prayer room in our parsonage, I pray that the Holy Spirit will be so very real that you will find Him there, in spite of the clutter and funky décor. This space is also a very special place for my husband, where he enjoys displaying his collection of unusual memorabilia. When you come to visit our family, be sure to stop by our prayer closet, also affectionately known as the Simpsons’ room.

When Solomon finished the temple and dedicated it to the Lord, he went to Gibeon to pray. There, the Lord spoke to Solomon. God heard the prayers of His people, and had seen the amazing craftsmanship and intricate detail of the temple which was built to honor His holy name forever. The Lord said that His eyes and His heart would always be there. Isn’t that the prayer of every congregation? We build church buildings to honor and glorify our Lord Jesus Christ. We create sacred space to welcome His presence into our lives. The sanctuary is a holy place where prayers leave our lips and fly to the heart of our Father. The Holy Spirit moves freely in and among worshippers who pray in spirit and in truth. Our churches should always be dedicated to prayer, for it is through our heartfelt petitions that the Lord sees, hears, and answers us. We pray for His will in all things; placing our faith in His Word that He will be with us always. We pray that His eyes and His heart will become our vision and our love.

The Lord has created a precious space within my body where His Word resonates and my love for Him is expressed. I have dedicated my body to the glory of God as His temple - where worship, praise, adoration, confession, repentance, and self-discipline abound. Every morning, I invite the Lord into my life through the power of prayer. I know He is here with me. I can feel His pulse in the beating of my heart. I can see His face when I look at His Word leaping off of the printed page and finding its way into the recesses of my mind. I experience the power that only He can give as I sit and wait in His presence. Have you created a sacred space in your life for the Lord? Has your body become a living prayer closet where you find intimate and fulfilling relationship with Jesus? May we seek His face, hear His voice, and purpose to live out our life according to His good will and direction. Come into the presence of Almighty God and experience the pleasure of His company in your life every day.

Grace and peace,

Deb Spaulding
www.songofdeborah.com


Pray for: God to create a temple of prayer within your heart. Find a sacred space to commune with your Savior. I’ll see you in the prayer room this weekend at church!
____________________________
© Copyright 2007, Deb Spaulding
All rights reserved
Articles may not be printed in any “for profit” publication without further permission by the author. Articles may be freely distributed via e-mail, reprinted in church bulletins or in other non-profit publications without further permission. Please keep this copyright and Web Site information intact with copied articles. Articles are sent originally to subscribers only. You may have received a forwarded or reprinted copy.