Saturday, April 28, 2007

Dreaming big for the Lord

Grand Sweep Daily Reading: 2 Kings 1, 2, 3; Psalm 72

2 Kings 2:9 (NIV)
When they had crossed, Elijah said to Elisha, “Tell me, what can I do for you before I am taken from you?” “Let me inherit a double portion of your spirit,” Elisha replied.

John 14:25-27 (NIV)
25 [Jesus said] “All this I have spoken while still with you. 26 But the Counselor, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in my name, will teach you all things and will remind you of everything I have said to you. 27 Peace I leave with you, my peace I give you. I do not give to you as the world give. Do not let your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid.”

Acts 2:17 (NIV)
17 In the last days, God says, I will pour out my Spirit on all people. Your sons and daughters will prophesy, your young men will see visions, your old men will dream dreams.


Good morning!

Are you a dreamer? When I was a child, I used to have horrible nightmares. Going to sleep was not always a pleasant experience. Sometimes, I would fight sleep just to keep from having to dream those scary dreams. If you’ve ever rocked a child back to sleep after they’ve cried out in fear in the middle of the night, then you may understand what I’m talking about. Do you ever wonder what a newborn baby is dreaming about? When I held my precious grandbabies and watched them sleep, they would get the strangest looks on their faces. Sometimes, they would smile or laugh out loud. Other times, they would furrow their eyebrows, open their mouths and cry out, as if something had totally distressed them. My grandmother used to say that the sleeping child must have a belly ache. I wonder if there isn’t more to those facial expressions on the faces of our precious wee ones than we can fully understand.

I believe that the Lord speaks to us through our dreams. As we grow in faith, the Holy Spirit helps us to become sensitive to the Father’s still small voice. I outgrew the fear of nightmares when I learned to place my faith in Him. I found the scripture to be comforting and worth reciting before I closed my eyes each night. I would say, “You will keep me in perfect peace, when my mind and heart is focused on completely on you.” Going to sleep became a welcome experience when I learned how to cast my worries aside and trust Him to keep my heart and mind safe and sound. When our grandson Jett would come to spend the night with us, he would experience nightmares in the middle of the night. Jett would wake up drenched in sweat, crying, screaming and shaking uncontrollably. I would hold this child in my arms and sing the words to “Giving You Back to Jesus.” I first heard this song when my husband Jeff was ministering at North Hills United Methodist Church in North St. Louis County. Our choir director knew singer-songwriter Sue Paschal. She had written these words to remind all of us just how important it is to give our children back to the Lord. Won’t you read these words of faith and let them speak to your heart today:

The time may come you feel, I’ve let you down, I know; when I can’t answer all your questions, and so,
I’m giving you to the one whose arms you can’t outgrow. I’m giving you back to Jesus.

I’d like to hide you from the world, you know I would; to keep you safe and warm forever, if I could. And so I give you to the one who’s only good. I’m giving you back to Jesus.

The best gift I ever got was when He gave me you. He’s sharing you with me for a time.

I promised Him then I’d do the best that I could do, because you still belong to Him, you’re really not mine.

He’ll always be there to pick you up if you should fall. He loves you so much somehow it makes my love seem small! He’s the best that I can give you, though you know I’d give my all, and so I’m giving you back to Jesus.

The best gift I ever got was when He gave me you. He’s sharing you with me for a time.
I promised Him then I’d do the best that I could do, because you still belong to Him, you’re really not mine.

Someday when you’re grown the time will come for you to choose whether you’ll be the kind of child that He can use. Won’t you stay close beside Him? Oh, I pray you won’t refuse to give yourself back to Jesus.
Won’t you give yourself back to Jesus.

Elisha was wise when he asked to receive a double portion of Elijah’s spirit. Jesus promised that He would not leave us alone. He sent the Holy Spirit to comfort, convict and communicate the Word into the believer’s heart. Dreaming the big dreams that God has planted inside your heart can bring you great comfort and purpose as you seek to live within His will for your life. Do not be afraid to dream. Give yourself back to Jesus and let Him mold you into a child that He can use. Dream big, baby!

Grace and peace,

Deb Spaulding
www.songofdeborah.com


Pray for: a double portion of the Holy Spirit! Salvation through Jesus Christ is the best gift you will ever receive. You belong to the Lord. He has sent His sweet Holy Spirit to light the way home. Jesus can take the nightmares of your life and bring you perfect peace when you ask for His comfort, direction and love. Do not be afraid to dream the big dreams that the Lord has planted inside of your heart.
___________________
© Copyright 2007, Deb Spaulding
All rights reserved
Articles may not be printed in any “for profit” publication without further permission by the author. Articles may be freely distributed via e-mail, reprinted in church bulletins or in other non-profit publications without further permission. Please keep this copyright and Web Site information intact with copied articles. Articles are sent originally to subscribers only. You may have received a forwarded or reprinted copy.