Monday, March 19, 2007

Giving it up for the Lord

Grand Sweep Daily Reading: Joshua 13, 14, 15

Joshua 13:14 (NIV)
14 But to the tribe of Levi He gave no inheritance, since the offerings made by fire to the Lord, the God of Israel, are their inheritance, as He promised them.

Matthew 25:34-36 (NIV)
34 Then the King will say to those on His right, ‘Come, you who are blessed by my Father; take your inheritance, the kingdom prepared for you since the creation of the world. 35 For I was hungry and you gave me something to eat. I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you invited me in. 36 I needed clothes and you clothed me, I was sick and you looked after me, I was in prison and you came to visit me.


Good morning!

I woke up singing the words to Fanny Crosby’s “Blessed Assurance” this morning. I love it when the Lord wakes me up singing! What an inheritance we have in Jesus. Through His blood, we receive everlasting life and a home filled with His light – it is a love relationship that will never, ever end.

Yesterday afternoon, we were flipping the television channels, and stopped on a show called “Cribs.” I’ve not seen this program before. Apparently, this program features the mansions and lifestyles of some very wealthy people. I had no idea who these people were; yet, my eye was immediately drawn to the extravagance and luxury of their surroundings. One of the homeowners gave us a tour of her closet. This space looked like a boutique one might find in an exclusive shopping mall. She had more shoes on her shelf than I’ve ever owned (and I like shoes). Honestly, how many feet do we have? Here is what really surprised me. This woman has a full-time closet organizer, and I’m not talking about the shelving you buy at Target for $99. She introduced the television viewers to her full-time hired help, whose only job is to hang out in her closet and organize her stuff! Okay, I’m having a really hard time going there in my mind. I could use a closet organizer too. Actually, I just need to spend a little more time cleaning out my closet and giving away what I don’t need. Think about this for a minute – just how much stuff do we really need to live?

Do you ever find yourself buried in stuff? There are many people who enjoy hobbies and keeping collections. I admit I enjoy having a peculiar hobby to tinker with. If you saw my scrapbook room, you would understand what I mean by the word “peculiar.” For those of you who know my husband, you may recall seeing his “Simpson” collection displayed in the parsonage study. I’ve often thought of charging admission for room tours, yet, I cannot fathom anyone wanting to pay money to see this! Maybe I’ll give the producer of the show “Cribs” a call.

When Jesus taught His disciples about the final judgment, He said there is a special inheritance for those who truly love Him. How do we love Him? It has nothing to do with the words we speak. It has everything to do with how we choose to care for one another. When we feed the starving, clothe the naked, provide clean water for thirsty people, and nurse our sick and infirm back to health, we are demonstrating the love of Jesus Christ. When Moses gave the Lord’s inheritance to the tribes of Israel, the Levites (the priests) received no tangible personal property. Their inheritance was the fire of the Spirit, which came from the offerings and sacrifices to the Lord. As I sit and meditate on these scriptures today, I am reminded that the only treasure I need to receive is the eternal gifts that the Lord gives. Every other material possession is simply immaterial.

I don’t need a closet full of shoes or a place called scrapbook central. I can be content not owning a home, or having lots of personal possessions. The only inheritance I need is the Lord Jesus Christ. Will you pray with me? Father, forgive me today. I have cared more about my needs than the needs of my brothers. Help me give it up for you. The only thing I need is your love. Teach me perfect submission. Help me to understand today what it means to be purchased by you and show me how to live it out in this life.

Grace and peace,

Deb Spaulding
www.songofdeborah.com


Pray for: Jesus Christ to be the only inheritance you desire. How much are you willing to give up for the Lord today?
____________________________
© Copyright 2007, Deb Spaulding
All rights reserved
Articles may not be printed in any “for profit” publication without further permission by the author. Articles may be freely distributed via e-mail, reprinted in church bulletins or in other non-profit publications without further permission. Please keep this copyright and Web Site information intact with copied articles. Articles are sent originally to subscribers only. You may have received a forwarded or reprinted copy.