Thursday, February 08, 2007

Unintentional Sin

Grand Sweep Daily Reading: Leviticus 4, 5, 6

Leviticus 4:27 (NIV)

27 If a member of the community sins unintentionally and does what is forbidden in any of the Lord’s commands, he is guilty.

Numbers 15:28 (NIV)

28 The priest is to make atonement before the Lord for the one who erred by sinning unintentionally, and when atonement has been made for him, he will be forgiven.

Romans 5:6-8 (NIV)

6 You see, at just the right time, when we were still powerless, Christ died for the ungodly. 7 Very rarely will anyone die for a righteous man, though for a good man someone might possibly dare to die. 8 But God demonstrates His own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us.

Good morning!

The late great comedian Flip Wilson brought the character Geraldine to life with this time-honored quote, “The Devil made me do it!” I remember watching Geraldine on television as a child, and laughing hysterically every time I heard these words. It is so much easier to blame someone else for the mistakes we make than to take responsibility for our own actions. Have you ever glossed over your failures by passing the blame to someone else?

I confess that I spent a chunk of my life wallowing in the muddy circumstances of my childhood and placing blame for the poor choices I made upon my family. If I were to take a poll, I might learn that I’m not the only one who has done this very same thing. Sometimes, when we feel angry and a little self-righteous, we step up to the batter’s box and swing at the ball with all our might. Sometimes we choose to give sin a ride by our hateful choice of words, actions and schemes. There are other times when we experience momentary lapses in the things we do or say. In fact, we may find ways to justify our behavior. Many of my unintentional sins started with an innocent thought or deed that became the playground for self-centeredness and self-righteous indignation. Your mediation with the Almighty may sound something like this: If I’m right (and I know I am), this thought, motive or action could not possibly be wrong. God would never hold it against me. He knows my weaknesses, and He loves me. I’m sure God will make an allowance for me, just this one time. Won’t you Daddy? Won’t you turn your head the other way and let me slip down the slope without your noticing?

Do you ever sin unintentionally? When you make a mistake, do you take responsibility for it, or do you blame someone or something else for your poor choices?

The Lord gave Moses detailed instructions for worshipping Him, and the necessary steps to receive forgiveness for sin. God knew that His people would sin, sometimes on purpose, and many times, not. God said that, as a community, we are responsible to our brothers and sisters for the sins we commit. Unlike Geraldine’s pat answer for every mistake she made, there are no excuses for the people of God. When we sin, we are guilty. God provided a means for forgiveness, through the sacrifice of the great high priest. Sin is serious business and it requires serious redemption. The sincere and humble confession of a sinner, offering up a sacrificial lamb and the spilling of its blood, would bring atonement and restoration. When Jesus Christ, the holy Lamb of God, sacrificed His life upon the cross of Calvary, He broke the curse of sin and death once and for all. We can be free once and for all from the chains of sin. We can learn to forgive one another. We can be free to forgive ourselves.

My friends, we need to quit giving Satan so much credit. Christ died for us while we were yet sinners, and that proves His love for us. In the name of Jesus Christ, you are forgiven!

Grace and peace,

Deb Spaulding

www.songofdeborah.com

Pray for: the blood of the Lamb to cover you. He died just for you and me. For all of the past mistakes, present failings, and future foibles, His love never changes. Sin is sin. Confess, repent, and believe!

____________________________

© Copyright 2007, Deb Spaulding

All rights reserved

Articles may not be printed in any “for profit” publication without further permission by the author. Articles may be freely distributed via e-mail, reprinted in church bulletins or in other non-profit publications without further permission. Please keep this copyright and Web Site information intact with copied articles. Articles are sent originally to subscribers only. You may have received a forwarded or reprinted copy.