Saturday, December 23, 2006

A Mother's Heart

Luke 2:19 (NIV)
19 But Mary treasured up all these things and pondered them in her heart.


Good morning!

The experience of becoming a mother is a holy moment. Making a lifelong commitment to loving and nurturing a tiny human being is a tremendous responsibility most women are not completely prepared for. We could use a “how to” manual from time to time. My mom relied on Doctor Spock when I was a child. If Doctor Spock didn’t address it in his book, then it just wasn’t that important. Where do mothers go to find the answers to their most burning questions? Who will this child be when he grows up? Which is the best way to teach this child everything he needs to know so that he will be a self-sufficient and well-balanced adult? What can I possibly offer to this new little life, when I’m still trying to grow up myself? Will I have what it takes for the long haul? Will my son still love me when I’m old and gray? What if I mess up? Will this child ever forgive me?

Hormonally challenged women discover a whole new realm of emotion during pregnancy. Pregnant women worry about everything! Some of us are giddy and cheerful, happy to be having a baby, and feeling really good about it. Others of us cry at the drop of a hat. If you look at us the wrong way, we may burst into tears for no apparent reason. It is true that one does not have to be pregnant to experience this roller coaster of emotion; however, these traits seem to be much more noticeable as a woman eagerly awaits the birth of her child.

My parents waited a long time to have children. I was adopted. My mother was unable to carry a baby to term. She went through several heart-breaking miscarriages before they finally made a decision to adopt. She tells me that the day she got the phone call from the adoption agency announcing my arrival was the happiest day of her life. Immediately, she jumped into “mommy mode.” Cloth diapers were washed and hung outside to dry. The hope chest was opened, and handmade blankets she had saved for this special occasion were placed in the empty nursery, in anticipation of the child to be born. Bottles were boiled, sheets were bleached, and pink curtains were hung. It’s a girl! We are going to have a baby girl! I can still hear the quiver in my mother’s voice when she tells me about the first time she saw me. It reminds me of how I felt the first time I saw my baby girl’s sweet face. Motherhood moments are awesome!

Mary was given an overwhelming task. She willingly agreed to give birth and raise the Son of the Most High. Mary knew this child would not be like any other. She pondered all of the things that new mothers wonder and worry about. Yet, Mary felt an even deeper sense of responsibility, to help this baby boy grow up in God’s grace and wisdom. She treasured all of these things and pondered them in her heart. Mary did not know what the future held; yet she knew who held the future, and was content to give her anxiety to the Father. Mary’s faith and trust in God was enough to see her through each and every motherhood moment.

As we celebrate the birthday of our Savior, may we look through the eyes of a young teenage girl, who lived out a life of incredible faith. Young Mary, the mother of our Lord Jesus Christ, put her total trust in God, and He equipped her with everything she needed to raise an amazing young man. A mother’s heart is a priceless treasure. Are you willing to give it up for the Lord? Are you willing to trust Him completely today?

Grace and peace,

Deb Spaulding
www.songofdeborah.com

Pray for: God to give you the faith you need to do the work He has called you to do. We may not know what the future holds, but we know who holds the future, and that is enough.


____________________________
© Copyright 2006, Deb Spaulding
All rights reserved
Articles may not be printed in any “for profit” publication without further permission by the author. Articles may be freely distributed via e-mail, reprinted in church bulletins or in other non-profit publications without further permission. Please keep this copyright and Web Site information intact with copied articles. Articles are sent originally to subscribers only. You may have received a forwarded or reprinted copy.