Sunday, December 31, 2006

Living Water

John 7:37 (NIV)
37 On the last and greatest day of the Feast, Jesus stood and said in a loud voice, “If anyone is thirsty, let Him come to me and drink. 38 Whoever believes in me, as the Scripture has said, streams of living water shall flow within Him.”

Good morning!

When I stop to reminisce about the past year, I find myself a bit overwhelmed. We’ve seen tragedy through natural disaster and the rage of war that has taken so many of our country’s men and women away from their families. I’ve been impressed with the spirit of genuine compassion of those who stepped up to share their hearts and possessions with the ones who lost loved ones and livelihood to famine, floods, tornadoes, and fires. I have said goodbye to some wonderful people who have gone on before me, who are with the Lord in heaven today. I miss them for now, but I know I will see them again one day. I cherish the gift of new life, personally experienced through the birth of my new great nieces and granddaughter Madison. I look forward to welcoming a new little life in the spring, as we await the birth of yet another grandchild. I’ve changed jobs, finished another year of school, and I’ve met and made many new friends.

I’ve spent time in prayer, lifting up the hearts of those who haven’t met Jesus yet. There are times when I sit in front of my television set, eyes glued to the news, seeing the tragedy and sorrow of many, as their lives unfold across the big screen. I worry for their souls. I wonder what their life could be like if they just knew Jesus. He can melt the hardest heart and breathe life into lifeless form. If they really knew Him, would their life’s story become a living testimony and a beacon for others to see? Is my life a true reflection of the one who set me free? When people look at me, will they see Jesus living inside my heart?

Jesus went to the temple to preach during the Feast of the Tabernacles. He wanted nothing more than to share the gift of eternal life with all people. There were those who stood and listened, and they believed. There were others who whispered and suggested that this man came to deceive and lead people astray. Some assumed Jesus was demon-possessed and could not to be trusted. Our Lord could hear the words of His accusers, and the thoughts in the hearts of all men. He wanted nothing more than for the world to see Him for who He is, and to know and love the One who sent Him.

Jesus offers living water to all who are thirsty. If they will come to Him in faith, He promises to quench their unquenchable thirst forever. Streams of living water would flow out from their hearts, pulsing through their veins, giving new life and hope for each and every tomorrow. If every person could experience Christ’s redemption and love for themselves, things on earth would change. We would care more for our brothers and sisters needs than for our own selfish desires. We would share the Good News of Jesus Christ without hesitation or fear. If you have received the gift of everlasting life, wouldn’t you want to tell everyone you knew?

Today is a day of great hope. We watch and wait for the dawn of a new year and we wonder what lies ahead. Will there be peace on earth in 2007? Are we willing to share the love of Christ with the world? Is there someone out there just waiting to meet Jesus? Will God use you to tell them? Will you tell them?

Grace and peace,

Deb Spaulding
www.songofdeborah.com

Pray for: springs of living water to quench your thirst and fill your life with love. Jesus Christ is counting on you to spread His Word to everyone. Are you willing to lead another thirsty soul to the river of life in 2007? What will the risen Christ do through you next year?

____________________________
© Copyright 2006, Deb Spaulding
All rights reserved
Articles may not be printed in any “for profit” publication without further permission by the author. Articles may be freely distributed via e-mail, reprinted in church bulletins or in other non-profit publications without further permission. Please keep this copyright and Web Site information intact with copied articles. Articles are sent originally to subscribers only. You may have received a forwarded or reprinted copy.